Soap balls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello soapers
Firstly I never really post anything, I have been using this forum as a reference for a number of years and I really appreciate the wealth of wisdom it offers. I make and sell soap as my only job. I have been a soap maker for years but I still manage to have a fail every now and then which keeps me in the category of 'experienced' but not 'professional' I am sure you can all relate. I can usually find most answers on this forum but I am a bit stumped at the moment so thought I would reach out. I make cold processed soap with a good water discount - if that helps with the question below.
Screenshot 2024-10-09 at 6.37.40 AM.png

I have been trying to reproduce soap balls for some time.I have been making them from soap shavings (which has broken two food processors trying to process the soap into small pieces) and then adding small amounts of water and forming into a ball with my hands. Mine look very lumpy. I want mine to look like this photo - see attached. I would love any tips or tricks on:
1. how to process failed soap batches down into fine pieces successfully
2. how to reform soap into lovely smooth soap balls
Any help much appreciated.

Please provide a typical recipe including the NaOH and water amounts as well as the amounts of fats. I think many people will have some good advice, but they'll need a recipe to know what's typical for you and then they can advise what could be done differently.

And about water discount. When folks say they use a "water discount", it's impossible to know what that means without additional explanation. There is no agreement on how this concept is defined, so what one soap maker means by "water discount" is not necessarily what another soap maker means.

Better to just say you use a lye concentration of, say, 33% or a water:lye ratio of 3.3:1. Either number defines the amount of water accurately and clearly without a lot of hand waving and explanation.

Back