SMF September 2024 Challenge - Feathered Mantra Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely plan to try this technique again (possibly tonight if I can build another contraption in time) with one batter, divided and colored to see if the swirl turns out better. My swirl doesn't look feather-like at all due to one of the colors being much thicker than the others. It didn't help matters when I realized I never picked something to swirl with and had to run around looking for something to use... I raided the kids art supplies and used the handle of a paint brush. 🤣

Last edited:
Weeellllllll.....this is my "hmmmm.....that didn't quite work out" post. LOL. I thought I would give the feather swirl a try despite not having a slab mold. Or dividers.
Step 1 - create dividers with heavy cardboard - they actually worked well
Post 1.jpg

Step 2 - pour in three colors - orange was supposed to be gold. Hmmm...maybe it will change with cure
20240923_174032.jpg

Step 3 - first pass left to right, right to left horizontal. I don't think I made the passes close enough together
20240923_174057.jpg

Step 4 - second pass moving diagonal. Hindsight....I think I was focused so much on the path to follow, that I forgot to push my tool all the way to the bottom. Either way...no feathers. :(
20240923_181009.jpg

Step 5 - The cut. LOL. Ummm....oh well, it smells great and NO cracking because I followed some advice, put the loaf on cans and had fans blowing on it. I did pay the price of not tapping the mold after pouring - air bubbles!! I was afraid it would mess the colors up if I did. Lesson learned!
20240924_080612.jpg

Now it's a personal challenge!! I shall try again today.

I like the colors,@Tammyfarms! It looks to me like you didn’t cut it correctly, and that’s the only reasonyou didn’t get the swirls.

For a loaf mold like that, you need to first slice the whole loaf in half horizontally. When you open those two halves, you will see the swirl. Then cut the bars to size with the swirl facing up.

I like the colors,@Tammyfarms! It looks to me like you didn’t cut it correctly, and that’s the only reasonyou didn’t get the swirls.

For a loaf mold like that, you need to first slice the whole loaf in half horizontally. When you open those two halves, you will see the swirl. Then cut the bars to size with the swirl facing up.
OMG!! How did I miss that?? I just cut the bars horizontally and....feathers. Not super great feathers, but feathers none the less. So many lessons learned here. :) Thank you.

I was wondering if you cut the wrong direction, too, because yours is way more uniform than mine. I don't think I made my first swirls close enough either, but the second swirl is definitely botched. You certainly couldn't identify this particular swirl by just looking at my soap.

OMG!! How did I miss that?? I just cut the bars horizontally and....feathers. Not super great feathers, but feathers none the less. So many lessons learned here. :) Thank you.
It's easy to do - and exactly what I did with my first Taiwan swirl. There is another way to cut it where you chop the loaf vertically in thirds, and then turn each "chunk" 90º, and cut it again. But I always mess that up! It so much easier to cut the whole loaf horizontally and go from there.

Last edited:
I definitely plan to try this technique again (possibly tonight if I can build another contraption in time) with one batter, divided and colored to see if the swirl turns out better. My swirl doesn't look feather-like at all due to one of the colors being much thicker than the others. It didn't help matters when I realized I never picked something to swirl with and had to run around looking for something to use... I raided the kids art supplies and used the handle of a paint brush. 🤣
I did the same thing and ended up using a BIC pen.

Back