SMF June 2024 Un-Challenge – A Favorite Song

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all! It means a lot and I'm glad you all enjoyed them. These are really some of my favorite soaps I've done thus far.
@basti really great soaps! I love your flowers topping your left soap! very 60's, 70's - they also look like alot of work (well , it all looked like an enormous amount of work... )
Thanks for including your Hozier song, I've added it to two of my Spotify playlists!
Did you know Hozier's Mom painted his album cover?
this is a link to a utube video about how they came up with the whole underwater concept etc. What a cool mother/ son project. Makes the song even better, if that is possible.
anyway, great soaps!

Yes! His mother painted both this album cover (Wasteland, Baby! is his second album) and his first album's cover. It really does make it special.

Well...I have to bend the criteria slightly because while I like these songs, they are not really what I would consider a favorite of mine. But these are some soaps I needed to make, so I'll pick a song that they could represent.

A military mom asked me if I could make a flag soap, so I came up with these. Neither came out like my vision, but I am sure she will be happy with them. American Pie by Don McLean.
6.2024 Spin Swirl Flag.jpg6.2024 Drop Swirl Flag.jpg

Norwegian Wood by the Beatles
6.2024 Woodgrain.jpg

Last edited:
(Please copy & paste the list into a new post, then add your name along with the next appropriate number.)

1. basti - so many options 🎶
2. Barefoot Farm Girl
3. hanesha
4. Snappy

I decided to jump into this unchallenged since I just found this site a few weeks ago.

Ok here goes!

One of my favorite rock bands is Godsmack, and my two favorite songs are VooDoo and Serenity. The first soap is Serenity, I scented with Lavender EO. I tried a Luna swirl using the icky micas I got off Amazon before I knew any better and Titanium Dioxide.

The second one is VooDoo, scented with Bali Breeze FO from BrambleBerry. First try at a Tahitian Swirl cuz Tahiti=voodoo in my mind. Colors are Titanium Dioxide, Activared Charcoal,Tahitian Teal and Tequila Sunrise from Mad Micas.

The last one is Walking on Sunshine, this is my dance like no one is watching jam. I did a pull thru (so much fun, anxiety & anticipation) Scented with Lemoncello from Bb, Blue Tide, Mango Lassi with a pinch of TD to tone it down, The Maniacal Pea and Snow White micas from Mad Micas

Attachments

• IMG_0561.jpeg
    IMG_0561.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0570.jpeg
    IMG_0570.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0554.jpeg
    IMG_0554.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I had a Dr Who episode on in the background while I was digging through my supplies when I heard... Tada!! The Chordettes ....
Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream (ba, ba, ba, ba)
Make him the cutest that I've ever seen (ba, ba, ba, ba)....

I LOVE silly little songs like that... The old ones everybody knows the words to.... But you don't consciously know the words until you hear the song!

So I decided to go with natural clays as colorants in nice simple waves... Mr Sandman slipping under the door and carrying you off to Dreamland. Everything went so smoothly, the design turned out exactly as I hoped. I cleaned everything up and hummed my way down the hall to let Mr Sandman whisk me off. Then the Metallica rumble started in the shadows of my dream .... Enter Sandman. 😐😒. Not one of my favorites but I know the words to that one too. I realize the frankincense and myrrh scent hasn't mellowed and the metal music won't go away.... Something isn't right. I go creeping back to the soaping area and there are my notes and a "not quite right" looking mold full of product. I masterbatch my lye and had to make a little extra to finish this batch..... Guess who forgot to add "the little extra"? 😭. I shouldn't soap late at night. Into the pot it went! No more perfectly spaced little waves, no subtle color changes.... Enter Sandman. Thank you for waking me .... Grrrrrrr. So, hp it is. A little extra water, the rest of the lye water and gentle even heat for the win! A day under a brick didn't hurt either - simple is good 😊!

Attachments

• IMG_20240624_190608942.jpg
    IMG_20240624_190608942.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Ok here goes!

One of my favorite rock bands is Godsmack, and my two favorite songs are VooDoo and Serenity. The first soap is Serenity, I scented with Lavender EO. I tried a Luna swirl using the icky micas I got off Amazon before I knew any better and Titanium Dioxide.

The second one is VooDoo, scented with Bali Breeze FO from BrambleBerry. First try at a Tahitian Swirl cuz Tahiti=voodoo in my mind. Colors are Titanium Dioxide, Activared Charcoal,Tahitian Teal and Tequila Sunrise from Mad Micas.

The last one is Walking on Sunshine, this is my dance like no one is watching jam. I did a pull thru (so much fun, anxiety & anticipation) Scented with Lemoncello from Bb, Blue Tide, Mango Lassi with a pinch of TD to tone it down, The Maniacal Pea and Snow White micas from Mad Micas
All beautiful, but that first one is amazing!🤩
I had a Dr Who episode on in the background while I was digging through my supplies when I heard... Tada!! The Chordettes ....
Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream (ba, ba, ba, ba)
Make him the cutest that I've ever seen (ba, ba, ba, ba)....

I LOVE silly little songs like that... The old ones everybody knows the words to.... But you don't consciously know the words until you hear the song!

So I decided to go with natural clays as colorants in nice simple waves... Mr Sandman slipping under the door and carrying you off to Dreamland. Everything went so smoothly, the design turned out exactly as I hoped. I cleaned everything up and hummed my way down the hall to let Mr Sandman whisk me off. Then the Metallica rumble started in the shadows of my dream .... Enter Sandman. 😐😒. Not one of my favorites but I know the words to that one too. I realize the frankincense and myrrh scent hasn't mellowed and the metal music won't go away.... Something isn't right. I go creeping back to the soaping area and there are my notes and a "not quite right" looking mold full of product. I masterbatch my lye and had to make a little extra to finish this batch..... Guess who forgot to add "the little extra"? 😭. I shouldn't soap late at night. Into the pot it went! No more perfectly spaced little waves, no subtle color changes.... Enter Sandman. Thank you for waking me .... Grrrrrrr. So, hp it is. A little extra water, the rest of the lye water and gentle even heat for the win! A day under a brick didn't hurt either - simple is good 😊!
Simple is great, your day sounds somewhat like mine. I hope to unmold later today and am hoping for the best but not counting on it. I’m sure the soap will be usable but maybe not pretty.
DH has been asking for a lime scented soap so CCR's Green River it is!! That feeling of suspension when you jump in and can't tell which way is up.
Beautiful soap, love your music choices for both of your soaps.

@Barefoot Farm Girl - I know what it took to achieve those designs - from the color palettes to the fluidity of the batter for the pours and swirling, and you did a great job on all three batches. I especially love the unusual (to me) color palette of the first soap, and the intrigue of a bar with glycerin rivers and another without.

@Snappy - sorry about the design bust for the 1st Sandman soap, but I can smell your fun lime soap in my mind, and it's perfect for summer!

(Please copy & paste the list into a new post, then add your name along with the next appropriate number.)

1. basti - so many options 🎶
2. Barefoot Farm Girl
3. hanesha
4. Snappy
5. dibbles - forgot to add my name to the list - sorry!

I had to do at least one soap for a song that is one of my favorites, 'The Dark and the Rolling Sea' by Al Stewart. I have seen a few makers create a soap with a minimal design featuring a single wave. I don't know who created it first, but this one by Nocturn was the first time I saw it. I was hoping for more height and the look of a curling wave, but I like how they turned out - maybe even better than if it had gone to plan. Thank you @Mobjack Bay for hosting the un-challenge this month!
6.2024 wave.jpg

Back