shelf life for finished MP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJBJ

Reaction score
So Here I am soaping away-and considering venturing some MP (I've been working on simple CP....) and I read (somewhere?) that Mp soap can start to shrink or "shrivel" after 3 months time. I'm making Holiday gifts-so that would be stinky....

Anybody know if this is the case? Or how to extend the shelf life?

It depends on your base. Some M&P will shrink a bit over several weeks, but it takes quite a bit longer to shrivel (unless maybe it is unwrapped) and look sort of wrinkly.

As long as you are using a quality base with dependable fragrances you should not have any serious loss of mass or change in looks for quite some time. I was just looking at some M&P bars I made in Feb. that are still tightly wrapped (I use saran wrap) and as smooth as the day they were cut.

Just store your product well (cool dark) and you should be fine come the holiday season.
Best of luck!

M&P does shrivel, but having them wrapped air-tight should take care of that. Colors & scents fade over time but ea color & scent is diferent so that is trial and error.

I don't make more up than I think I will sell in 3 months. Not because I think it will go bad, but because I want to sell my customers 'fresh' product.

Back