Shave soap - spots in final soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue54899

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been experimenting with shave soaps and have noticed my past few batches have been having the same issue. I use 40% stearic, 10% soy wax, and then 50% other fats. The soap is made using a modified cold process (crock pot to melt the oils, add lye and mix, let it get to a gel-like vaseline stage before pouring). Any ideas for why these spots appear in the final soap? Usually, as soon as I pour the lye, the fats seize (which I know is normal), but then there are these white little clumps that form throughout the batter (even when I add colour, the lumps are white) that don't mix in. I have a feeling this issue is related to the clumps, but would like to know if anyone has answers / solutions. Thanks!

Attachments

• Batch 10.1.jpg
    Batch 10.1.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Batch 10.2.jpg
    Batch 10.2.jpg
    637.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Batch 10.3.jpg
    Batch 10.3.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 0
To me those look like dried out soap bits that were scraped off the side of the pot and back into the batter. They always stay lighter in color and don't reincorporate well. Fortunately, that's only cosmetic.

Sometimes those white lumps can happen because your stearic acid saponifies immediately when the lye hits it. Are you melting the stearic to at least 160F, and then stickblending it thoroughly with the other oils before adding the lye?

Those look like the last few drops poured. Happened with me even with only SW and CP. Using both high % stearic acid and SW, it should be hard for you to keep some or all of the batter from setting up before pouring (you said it also seizes upon mixing). Experiment and you'll eventually find the balance you like (play with the stearic/SW %, as well as the water % among others, to slow down trace a bit). I agree it's purely cosmetic.

Latest posts

Back