Scaling up your recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Ekuzo the FOs and Micas are the reason I keep my soaping containers separate from my cooking/baking stuff.
That's the proper way, IMHO. If someone is pouring candles or practicing some related craft while using the same equipment, they probably won't notice the contamination and it's possible it won't give them trouble (of course, if selling, one should limit the possible traces according to the local regulations). But when it comes to food, we should always play it safe.

My SB, for example, cannot be disassembled, and being hand washed - there's always a tiny bit of soap residue left inside the bell, which usually doesn't bother me. I'd say, stick to dedidacted vessels and tools - you don't want soap in your cake.
Did you know that traces of finished soap act as an accelerant for any fresh soap batter with which it comes in contact? To remove soap stuck inside your SB bell, simply soak it in hot water, and then run it on top speed in clean hot water. If that doesn't clean it out, you need a new SB.

Also, I think having traces of undiluted EO and FO (nobody is safe from undermixing a batter) on your vessel's surface can sometimes be even more dangerous than having traces of lye - and you don't want that. JM2C, better safe than sorry.
Ceramic crocks and stainless inserts used in slow cookers are non-absorbent. If you wash and rinse them properly, there should not be residue of anything left on them. And again, you wash them with soap, whether that is your homemade dish soap, or commercial detergents that are loaded with scent and color.

Again, I do recommend dedicated equipment for those who are selling, but for a hobby maker, you are not endangering your food in any way as long as you clean things properly and use non-absorbent items.

JM2C ;)

Nope, no need to dedicate your crockpot or your stickblender to making soap.

After all, when you are done cooking food in your crockpot, or blending some food with your SB, what do you use to wash it? ;)

I will say that if you plan to sell your products, GMP would be to have dedicated soaping equipment. But that's more to make sure that you don't get food or food-related allergens in your soap, rather than the opposite.
Good to know!! Looks like I’ve got a long weekend to make my first batch of rebatched soap!!
🧼🍯👩🏽‍🍳

Good to know!! Looks like I’ve got a long weekend to make my first batch of rebatched soap!!
🧼🍯👩🏽‍🍳
Sweet! I am using that same long weekend to (hopefully) finish unpacking my office/soap room to finally be set up to soap, er I mean, work in there. 😁

About that rebatch... have you checked out oven rebatching? Here is a pretty good thread about that. I find it so much easier than using a crockpot. Just be sure not to use an aluminum pan for that if this is a lye-heavy soap, a zappy soap, or one with undissolved bits of lye throughout. Also, I don't agree to use milk as the liquid in a rebatched soap, as I believe it is subject to spoiling if it hasn't gone through saponification.

Sweet! I am using that same long weekend to (hopefully) finish unpacking my office/soap room to finally be set up to soap, er I mean, work in there. 😁

About that rebatch... have you checked out oven rebatching? Here is a pretty good thread about that. I find it so much easier than using a crockpot. Just be sure not to use an aluminum pan for that if this is a lye-heavy soap, a zappy soap, or one with undissolved bits of lye throughout. Also, I don't agree to use milk as the liquid in a rebatched soap, as I believe it is subject to spoiling if it hasn't gone through saponification.
Thanks for the link!! I was just doing some searching about rebatching. I had fears about oven processing so I’ll have tho check that link out!
Question- this soap I’m gong to rematch is too soft to grate. It probably didn’t have enough lye to properly suponiry. Do I need to combine it with other harder piece's of soap?

Question- this soap I’m gong to rematch is too soft to grate. It probably didn’t have enough lye to properly suponiry. Do I need to combine it with other harder piece's of soap?
You can just cut it up in chunks instead of grating.

Grating in some harder soaps to firm it up is a "grate" idea. :D <sorry, insert groans here>

Did you know that traces of finished soap act as an accelerant for any fresh soap batter with which it comes in contact? To remove soap stuck inside your SB bell, simply soak it in hot water, and then run it on top speed in clean hot water. If that doesn't clean it out, you need a new SB.

Ceramic crocks and stainless inserts used in slow cookers are non-absorbent. If you wash and rinse them properly, there should not be residue of anything left on them. And again, you wash them with soap, whether that is your homemade dish soap, or commercial detergents that are loaded with scent and color.

Again, I do recommend dedicated equipment for those who are selling, but for a hobby maker, you are not endangering your food in any way as long as you clean things properly and use non-absorbent items.

JM2C ;)
When I said 'tiny bit of soap residue', I meant just that - small traces, not even visible unless you try really hard. Just because I don't bother soaking the SB before cleaning it and it doesn't cause any trouble to my process, being a micro amount ( I hope you don't believe all soapers go the extra mile when washing their stuff between uses). And it's a dedicated tool only for soap. Don't forget that once something gets inside your SB, it's very difficult to almost impossible to clean it completely off, unless you take it apart (which in many cases is not even possible). At least with the means people usually have at their homes.

'If you wash and rinse them properly' is key here. People are often in a rush, they can hand wash it and don't do it properly, or their washing machine is acting up and they don't notice. Yes, you wash your dishes with soap/detergent, but often homemade soap is not as safe as a commercial one (hobbyist can put whatever they feel like putting in it in whatever concentrations they like). Sometimes a little residue of a detergent on your plate could be 'sort of' okay (like it won't make you vomit or the like), and sometimes one of the chemicals you use for soap making could be outright dangerous even in small amounts. Yes, you need to be careful and wash and rinse properly no matter the situation, but why risk it and put your family and yourself in danger when you can avoid such scenarios simply by separating your equipment?

You do you, I guess. I'm still against using the same tools and vessels for soap and for food. There will be people supporting both sides and making valid points for each. The rabbit hole goes way deeper than what we touched upon in a couple of posts, a lot more can be said. I want visitors to the forum to always take an opinion with a grain of salt (mine included), to do their own research and act accordingly. The truth is born in argument, as they say :)

Back