Lotion bar best oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would definitely replace the coconut oil. Using mango butter was a gamechanger because it soaks in quickly and doesn't leave my hands feeling greasy. Rice bran oil is nice on the skin as would sweet almond oil and apricot kernel. Or experiment with all 3!

Your base recipe is what I use -- 1/3 each beeswax, butter, oil + 1% essential oil and 1% vitamin E. I only get positive feedback about my lotion bars so you are quite close to finalizing your recipe.

Meadowfoam seed oil is a splurge for me as is jojoba but they are heaven on the skin.

Keep us posted!

ive been experimenting with lotion. bars. first recipe was 4 oz beeswax, 3 oz coconut oil, 1.5 oz cocoa butter, 1.5 oz mango butter,1.5 oz hemp seed oil, 1.5 ounce almond oil, 1/4 tsp kayolin clay. It was a bit greasy for my liking. I prefer a harder bar that glides on skin without a drag. this next recipe is what I am considering- 4 oz bees wax, 1.5 ounces cocoa butter, 1.5 oz mango butter, 1.5 ounce hemp seed oil, 1.5 ounce almond oil. 1/5 ounce vit e. Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

@pjknight I would try reducing the beeswax if you want less drag. Beeswax will make the bar harder and not melt as easily. I've found that for me powder additive contribute to drag some people find the opposite. It's all just personal preference and experimentation.
You could try it without the clay and see if that does anything. You could also reduce the beeswax to see if that helps with the drag.

Also cold bars and cold skin can contribute to drag. Where I'm at it's starting to get colder at night and my lotion bars definitely drag more than they used to.
ok thank you for your imput. going to try a test of more beeswax and another test with less beeswax to see how close I am to what I want.

ok thank you for your imput. going to try a test of more beeswax and another test with less beeswax to see how close I am to what I want.
The nice thing about lotion bars is that if you have a good enough scale you can make a 1-2 bar recipe and if you don't like it you can melt it down and add more stuff to it. Just keep really good notes so you know what you did next time.
I actually took my leftover experiment bars, melted them down, and combined them with a previous batch. Now they're just chilling in the fridge until I need them. Once these are all used/given away I'm going to make more with my preferred recipe.

The nice thing about lotion bars is that if you have a good enough scale you can make a 1-2 bar recipe and if you don't like it you can melt it down and add more stuff to it. Just keep really good notes so you know what you did next time.
I actually took my leftover experiment bars, melted them down, and combined them with a previous batch. Now they're just chilling in the fridge until I need them. Once these are all used/given away I'm going to make more with my preferred recipe.
thats a good idea. Ill give it a try

Back