Reusing soap equipment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrayGrants

Reaction score
I am always hesitant to make large batches with new recipes and fragrances until I see how the batch will behave. I was wondering if I could make a batch and immediately reuse the same equipment, even though it would have dried soap batter on it and what the results would be. Has anyone here tried this?

I typically make multiple small batches in one evening. Washing and drying each tool, mixing container, etc., between batches would triple my time investment, so instead, I very carefully wipe down everything with paper towels until I can no longer see any remnants or streaks. Then, I start a new batch.

The only exception is the dishes I measure out my fragrance oils to. Those are washed and dried because FOs can really cling and affect the next FO.

Everything is washed, dried, and put away when my entire soaping session is done.

I have found that even a trace amount of soap batter will start to accelerate the next batch, and the designs I'd wanted to achieve may not be possible. I've also noticed that if I let my oils and lye mixtures get below a certain temperature, I may start to get graininess while stick-blending the batter. So, I plan the order of my pours based on the behavior of the FO, whether it accelerates or decelerates, in an effort to compensate.

It's a tradeoff for sure, and not always a predictable experience, especially with new-to-me FOs, but worth it to me for the time-saving.

I have done this when making sculpted layer soaps - using a portion of the premixed oils and lye solutions. I do have a container with some water to run my stick blender in between layers to get it clean, and I wipe down any bowls/spatulas I am reusing very well, but I don't wash everything in hot, soapy water. I don't have a sink in my soaping area, so I have to improvise and haven't had any issues doing this.

I have found that even a trace amount of soap batter will start to accelerate the next batch
This is 100% true. In fact, adding some finished soap to a new batter is a technique used intentionally in liquid soapmaking to speed up trace.

That being said, I don't usually wash everything thoroughly between multiple batches. I do wipe off visible soap/oils, and I do thoroughly whiz my stickblender in a cup of hot soapy water before going on to another batch. That's where I find that soap tends to lurk most often.

Back