Fragrance oil recommendations for shampoo and conditioner?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just did a sample batch of shampoo and condition with Lavender and Fresh Herbs FO (from Candles & Supplies) at a scant 1%. Test subjects are not loving it, although it's a popular FO in my cold process shea butter soaps. Comments are "smells good in the bottle but not on my hair", "kind of musty", "scent is heavy".

What are some hair care appropriate FOs that would appeal to both men and women?

Here are the favorite scents of my shampoo and conditioner bar users:

Fresh Ginger Lime from WSP - this is the absolute fave of everyone who has used it.
Peche de Vigne from Oregon Trails
Oatmeal Milk & Honey from WSP (although I call it Cherry Almond bc that's what most folks smell)

I don't make shampoo, but one thing I have found in liquid soapmaking is that far less fragrance than I like in my bar soap seems to be best. I think I fragrance at 1-2% in liquid soap, where bar soap is more like 5% to have the scent level I like.

If you want to stick with herbal, I really like Flowering Herbs from WSP. Citrus scents are pretty universally liked, and for me and mine Pink Grapefruit from BB or WSP are the favorite. Volcano might be another good option (in my testing, I like WSP version).

Back