Questions about base oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ucmj22

Reaction score
I had this posted in a different post, but i think it might be lost there so I will add it here,

Hazel had given me a link to an soap making and it left me with some questions.

1.) While following the general guidelines as to ratios of makeup for the oils, can I substitute any oils in my recipe as long as the total oil weight is the same? IE my first batch was 72% olive / 25% coconut / 3% castor. Could I have made it 52% olive / 30% avacado / 25% coconut / & 3% castor without issue?

2.) He talks about shelf life of an oil. If I use an oil that has a 6mo shelf life, and it takes 1.5-2 mo to cure before selling, does that mean that if the buyer doesn't use it in 4 mo then it will start to go bad, and I'll look like a jerk?

3.) on Olive oil he said "Olive oil soaps are very moisturizing, make hard, white bars of soap" and in coconut oil he says"[coconut oil] also makes for a very hard, white bar of soap." yet my soap is relatively soft (I realize its only a couple of days old) and somewhat of a creamy yellow. What did I miss?

319485_10151091214108216_956944652_n.jpeg

1) You can switch up oils, but the soap won't feel the same since oils bring different properties to soap. Plus just in case you didn't know, you have to run the new recipe through the lye calculator to get the new quantities of lye solution that you'll need. Plus, very high percentages of avocado will decrease your bubbles and make your soap feel more slimey.

2)The high ph of lye preserves the oils once they're saponified. Unless you are doing a very high percentage of oils that have short shelf lives and you do a very high percentage of superfat, then they should be okay. I have soaps that are years old and there is no rancidity at all, even with my soaps that have a bit of grapeseed oil in them.

3)Olive oil soaps take a while to get hard, but after months and months of curing, they get rock hard and stark white. The coconut oil ones don't take as long to get hard and white. But if you've added other oils as well, you have to take the color of those into consideration as far as color goes.

ucmj22 said:
1.) While following the general guidelines as to ratios of makeup for the oils, can I substitute any oils in my recipe as long as the total oil weight is the same? IE my first batch was 72% olive / 25% coconut / 3% castor. Could I have made it 52% olive / 30% avacado / 25% coconut / & 3% castor without issue?

As long as the total percent of your oils adds up to 100% and you make sure to run it through a lye calculator first to get the correct amount of lye (which will have changed due to having changed up your oils), then yes. :)

ucmj22 said:
2.) He talks about shelf life of an oil. If I use an oil that has a 6mo shelf life, and it takes 1.5-2 mo to cure before selling, does that mean that if the buyer doesn't use it in 4 mo then it will start to go bad, and I'll look like a jerk?

Maybe yes, and maybe no. :lol: What I mean is that it all depends on certain factors such as how much of the delicate oil you use and how highly you superfat your batch. The chemical reaction between the lye and oils changes things up a bit to the point that one's soap can last for years well beyond an oil's normal shelf life, but it you have too much of a delicate oil at too high of a superfat, it can go south quickly. Generally, if you use a delicate oil, it is recommended that you don't go over 15% total combined linoleic acid in your batch. If you use SoapCalc to figure out your calculations for your recipe, it will tell you how much of each fatty acid is in your formula. Look for the percent of linoleic acid, and if you see it is over 15%, go ahead and tweak your recipe until it shows 15% or under. If you ever find your formula to have the maximum safe range of 15% linoleic, I would recommended that you keep your superfat modest- i.e.- in the 5% to 7% range max. You might be able to get away with 8%, but in my opinion that's pushing it, especially if you live in a humid area.

ucmj22 said:
3.) on Olive oil he said "Olive oil soaps are very moisturizing, make hard, white bars of soap" and in coconut oil he says"[coconut oil] also makes for a very hard, white bar of soap." yet my soap is relatively soft (I realize its only a couple of days old) and somewhat of a creamy yellow. What did I miss?

The only thing you're missing is the time factor. Just give your soap time. You have 72% olive oil in your soap which makes for a somewhat soft soap at the beginning of cure, but it'll cure out good and hard within 6 to 8 weeks, even sooner if you used a water discount. Also- over time, olive oil soaps become lighter in color.

IrishLass :)

Thanks a lot for the input!

Thank you both for clearing up the issue about having to recalculate the lye when changing oils, that could have been messy. I put "soap calc" on my phone earlier but havent messed with it yet. I'm assuming that is what you are referring to for recalculating lye, correct?

Latest posts

Back