Question on effects of different process (cp, hp, cpop) on long cure (6-12+) OO and other plant based soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning! I'm hoping some kind people could share their knowledge and experience about a topic I am confused on.

For those of you who make long cure (6-12+ months) OO soap and other plant oil/butter soap, do you use hp, cp, or cpop? Something else? If you've done more than one process are they identical at the same age other than appearance? If they behave differently can you describe how? My main concern is gentleness and drying as I have eczema and also sometimes get hives. I wont be addig any colors or fragrances. I've scoured the internet looking for answers to this question and I can't find it. Everything I've found is in reference to shorter cure soaps and says they make the same quality of soap. I did find some people saying that gelled cp is ready two weeks ahead of non gelled cp so I'm assuming the same must apply to hp??? But they also said the non gelled cp 'caught up' to the gelled cp around month 4. OO and other high oleic oils behave differently from other oils and need that long cure time so I'm not sure how much of this applies.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Back