Question about melting oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleginger73

Reaction score
I watched a soap making video where the lady put in all the oils into the lye mixture after she mixed the lye and water.. She used the heat from the lye mixture to melt and heat the oils. Is this ok to do? Does it work that way? Thanks!

Yes- the method of using hot lye solution to melt your oils is called either the 'heat-transfer' method and/or the 'RTCP' method, only the hot lye solution is normally poured into the oils and not the other way around.

IrishLass :)

And that is my favorite way to soap. Cuts out a whole step.

But, I pour my lye solution into my solid oils first. Stir and/or stick blend til melted, then add the liquid oils(with EO added). Then stick blend/rest til traced.

Yes- the method of using hot lye solution to melt your oils is called either the 'heat-transfer' method and/or the 'RTCP' method, only the hot lye solution is normally poured into the oils and not the other way around.

IrishLass :)

How does this compare to the method of waiting for the lye/water solution to cool to within 10 degrees of the oil mixture? It seems like there'd be a significant temperature gap pouring hot lye water into unmelted oils.

There is a significant temperature difference. I just got in a laser thermometer, and have not made soap since, so I can't tell you exactly how much, but the lye solution is so hot that I have to put an oven mitt on the hand holding the container. And the solid oils are room temperature. It traces a bit faster than cooler temperature oil/lye solution, but I don't do swirls or other fancy stuff, so less time is better for me.

I've been wanting to try this, but I have yet to gather the nerve. "Less than 120 degrees" and "within 10 degrees of each other" was GOSPEL when I started, and I haven't been able to bring myself to break that rule!

There is a significant temperature difference. I just got in a laser thermometer, and have not made soap since, so I can't tell you exactly how much, but the lye solution is so hot that I have to put an oven mitt on the hand holding the container. And the solid oils are room temperature. It traces a bit faster than cooler temperature oil/lye solution, but I don't do swirls or other fancy stuff, so less time is better for me.

For me, the lye solution can get up to ~200* and room temp in my house is typically 65* in the winter and 76* in the summer. So, a temperature difference of ~120*-ish.

It can trace very quickly, so it is great for something like an in the pot swirl, where you aren't doing any real color work. But, I would NOT use this method for something like a hidden peacock or a tilted tiger. I do use it for my modified column pours though.

I use it for nearly everything. I love it. I measure out the solid oils and set them aside. I mix up the lye solution and as soon as it is fully dissolved, I dump it in the main soaping bucket and slap a cover over the top. (I normally make 4 12" loaves at a time - so a big bucket.) I measure out the liquid oils, my powdered goats milk (which is blended with a bit of water that I reserved before adding the lye) and my EOs. These three things get stick blended together. Once the solid oils are nearly melted, I hand stir, smashing the chunks against the side, until it is all melted. Then I add the liquid oils and either stick blend or hand stir (depending on the EO and how quickly it will trace).

I've been wanting to try this, but I have yet to gather the nerve. "Less than 120 degrees" and "within 10 degrees of each other" was GOSPEL when I started, and I haven't been able to bring myself to break that rule!

Try it!

If it's so easy, why do you have to slap a lid over it? *eyes houseofwool suspiciously* This is a trap, isn't it?

bwahahaha - I put a lid on the bucket to keep the heat in so it melts faster. I am impatient...

And I have ADD, so if the process takes to long, my brain wanders off and it is questionable if I will get it back in time!

Latest posts

Back