My goat milk soap keeps cracking on top

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebFiel3

Reaction score
I am not really new at soap making but I do have a question about my goat milk soaps. I make the soap any where from 100° to 120°.
I have a small fridge that I put them in right after they are made. They are still cracking on top. It's so frustrating because I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I should say some of them Crack, some of them don't.

Attachments

• 20240913_150104.jpg
    20240913_150104.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240913_150051.jpg
    20240913_150051.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I am pretty new to soapmaking, but I have only ever made goat milk soap. I mostly soap around 100°F. The only time I go hotter than that is if I'm using a lot of goat tallow in my recipe because it tends to re-solidify under 120°. But I keep my lye/milk mixture under 100°. I do let my soaps gel and have never had them burn. The closest I have gotten to a crack is a teeny little blip in one batch with coffee and milk. My best guess is that the soaps that crack are probably made at closer to that 120° range than 100°. I'm sure someone with more experience can give you a better idea of what is going on.

Your soap looks beautiful, by the way, in spite of the cracks.

Try soaping at temp below 100 (if your chosen oils allow for that) ‐ even a little difference counts.

Also, what concentration is your lye solution? From what I know, more water means higher chance of overheating. I make cow milk soap and my lye solution is at 40% concentration. I insulate the mold and it gels, I never use the fridge - and no cracks so far.

Do you have any other overheating factors in your recipe ‐ like sugar/honey/high % CO?

I am pretty new to soapmaking, but I have only ever made goat milk soap. I mostly soap around 100°F. The only time I go hotter than that is if I'm using a lot of goat tallow in my recipe because it tends to re-solidify under 120°. But I keep my lye/milk mixture under 100°. I do let my soaps gel and have never had them burn. The closest I have gotten to a crack is a teeny little blip in one batch with coffee and milk. My best guess is that the soaps that crack are probably made at closer to that 120° range than 100°. I'm sure someone with more experience can give you a better idea of what is going on.

Your soap looks beautiful, by the way, in spite of the cracks.
I'm pretty sure I soaped at a way too high temp. I just made a second batch and soaped at about 100°. We'll see how that one goes! I did put it in the freezer for a bit.
Thanks for the feedback.

Try soaping at temp below 100 (if your chosen oils allow for that) ‐ even a little difference counts.

Also, what concentration is your lye solution? From what I know, more water means higher chance of overheating. I make cow milk soap and my lye solution is at 40% concentration. I insulate the mold and it gels, I never use the fridge - and no cracks so far.

Do you have any other overheating factors in your recipe ‐ like sugar/honey/high % CO?
I do add a little sugar to each batch for extra lather. I think the only other factor would be the goat milk itself.
I have 34 oz oils and around 16 oz lye solution. A little over 16 oz. It varies with my choice of oils.
Thanks for your feedback.

Others can help more if we have your full recipe. Some ingredients are more likely to overheat than others.
I use OO, Palm, Castor, Coconut, Shea Butter, and Sweet Almond Oil.
OO and Coconut being the heavy lifters.

I'm pretty sure I soaped at a way too high temp. I just made a second batch and soaped at about 100°. We'll see how that one goes! I did put it in the freezer for a bit.
Thanks for the feedback.

I do add a little sugar to each batch for extra lather. I think the only other factor would be the goat milk itself.
I have 34 oz oils and around 16 oz lye solution. A little over 16 oz. It varies with my choice of oils.
Thanks for your feedback.

I use OO, Palm, Castor, Coconut, Shea Butter, and Sweet Almond Oil.
OO and Coconut being the heavy lifters.
How much sugar do you add and what's the % of the CO? Out of the 16 oz solution, how much is the NaOH? Do you use milk as full water replacement or just partially?

I use full milk in my milk soaps. Just changing from 33% lye solution to a 35% lye solution reduced the overheating enough for me to not have cracks on most fragrances. I think the lye solution % is as important as the temperature you are soaping to prevent overheating.

When I was using GM in soap, I would freeze it in ice cube trays (regular size and minis). I used it at 100% of my liquid and would make my lye solution with the frozen GM. My recipes were primarily EVOO with other oils and butters at lesser percents so I soaped at lower teps. I never had issues with scorching or cracked tops. Not sure if it was the ice milk, the high OO recipes or a combination of both but I do know I hardly had any fumes because of using frozen milk 😄 which is a huge plus for me!

Hi! I hope you've figured out what you might be doing by now if not, my 2 cents worth -
All I make is GM Soap. I never soap over 100 degrees, never use frozen milk (fresh cold milk only.) I always use a water bath w/ice cubes to help lower the temp of the lye/water solution. I then add the milk only after the lye water gets below 90 - preferably lower! Then I wait (again) for the lye & milk solution to lower back down to 90 or less. Mix the batch, pour and then put in a fridge for 24 hrs or so. I've never had any crack.

Best of luck!
Sherry
The Sudsey Goat

Attachments

• 8-5-2024 Rosemary & sage in mold.jpg
    8-5-2024 Rosemary & sage in mold.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1-17-2024 Rosemary & Sage-cut.jpg
    1-17-2024 Rosemary & Sage-cut.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi! I hope you've figured out what you might be doing by now if not, my 2 cents worth -
All I make is GM Soap. I never soap over 100 degrees, never use frozen milk (fresh cold milk only.) I always use a water bath w/ice cubes to help lower the temp of the lye/water solution. I then add the milk only after the lye water gets below 90 - preferably lower! Then I wait (again) for the lye & milk solution to lower back down to 90 or less. Mix the batch, pour and then put in a fridge for 24 hrs or so. I've never had any crack.

Best of luck!
Sherry
The Sudsey Goat
Do you ever get partial gel?

Best of luck!
Sherry
The Sudsey Goat
Thanks!

When I was using GM in soap, I would freeze it in ice cube trays (regular size and minis). I used it at 100% of my liquid and would make my lye solution with the frozen GM. My recipes were primarily EVOO with other oils and butters at lesser percents so I soaped at lower teps. I never had issues with scorching or cracked tops. Not sure if it was the ice milk, the high OO recipes or a combination of both but I do know I hardly had any fumes because of using frozen milk 😄 which is a huge plus for me!
Thanks!

I only make GMS and got a partial gel a few times before. @Hope Elisabeth 68 - I now skip the fridge and freezer and put my soap mold up on 2 cans of beans with a fan on it for several hours, rotating occasionally, and it’s been coming out perfectly each time. Maybe give it a try?
Thank you. I tried that method with another soap and got partial gel as well. What temp do you soap at?

Thank you. I tried that method with another soap and got partial gel as well. What temp do you soap at?
Very low 90s. I’ve used liquid GM frozen into cubes with this process, but mostly now use powdered GM that I reconstitute in some of my liquid. Sorry if I missed it, what form is your GM in?

Thank you. 'll have to try it that way. What ever way I do it I keep occasionally getting partial gel!
You can also try going full gel, if you don't mind the hue it gives or if it compliments the colorant you use well. Using liquid discount, soaping below 100 and insulating can help you get full gel without the overheating issue, just an option

Very low 90s. I’ve used liquid GM frozen into cubes with this process, but mostly now use powdered GM that I reconstitute in some of my liquid. Sorry if I missed it, what form is your GM in?
I use frozen fresh milk. I usually use it slushy and try not to let it get above 100, then bring it to 90F to soap.

Back