M&P coming out too soft

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aloevero

Reaction score
in my experience with M&P, it always comes out soft and I'm not exactly sure how to work with it. It holds its shape when handled but it just doesn't last as long as i'm aiming for. I've tried adding more base but no luck.

Can it be aged like lye based soap? Are there other ingredients I can add to harden it? I'm trying beeswax on my batch that's settling right now. or should I just stick to lye if I want a firm soap

Lye works best, beeswax only makes the soap leave a film on your skin that will irritate sensitive skin. Keep the beeswax for candle making or chapstick.

in my experience with M&P, it always comes out soft and I'm not exactly sure how to work with it. It holds its shape when handled but it just doesn't last as long as i'm aiming for. I've tried adding more base but no luck.

Can it be aged like lye based soap? Are there other ingredients I can add to harden it? I'm trying beeswax on my batch that's settling right now. or should I just stick to lye if I want a firm soap
Are you adding anything to your M&P, like extra oils or other additives? If so, please list every additive and the amounts per batch size. For instance: 2 oz of shea butter added to 10oz of base.

I ask because a lot of folks add way too much to the M&P base. The base is a finished soap and will not behave well if you exceed the recommended limit of additives, which is normally quite minuscule, i.e., for label appeal only.

In addition to the good advice from the others, I want to add:

Melt and pour soap is created by adding various solvents to the soap so it melts easily. These solvents also make the soap more water soluble when the soap is exposed to water. That means this type of soap has a shorter life when used in the bath.

It's an inevitable result of the type of soap you're using.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I think M&P just isn't for me, it doesn't achieve the product I want but live and learn haha!

@aloevero , I've always been a little unhappy that M&P bases seem soft and disappear pretty quickly in the shower. I recently learned that adding stearic acid to an M&P base will increase hardness. Two weeks ago, I added 3% stearic acid to some M&P bars as an experiment. I thought I'd wait a week to try them, as I think even M&P is helped by sitting there for at least a week or so. I had completely forgotten about it until I saw your post. But, I think I'll try it today and see if I notice a difference. So, don't give up just yet!!

Latest posts

Back