Kind of a weird question about moulds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinghippy

Reaction score
Ok so i was looking through the major soapmaking moulds and I didnt really find what i was looking for. The main problem that i found is that they tend to make soaps with either designs on them or else flat soaps with sharp edges. And they are really kind of expensive. I’m looking for inexpensive and something that will make the curved design of like a Dove bar.

This wont really be exact…but i was thinking: could i clean out an avocado shell and sterilize it and cut it down to the right size and use that? I realize i would likely have to brace them, but could it work?

Or maybe those small plastic kids football toys? Cut one of those in half? Or a large plastic easter egg? Long and curved is what I’m going for. Something that sits easily in your hand and can be easily twirled. Not something with a lot of sharp angles.

I like these round ones for my leftovers and certain designs and the bonus is no sharp edges, but they aren’t curvy.

That's one of my favorites! Especially for the Stephenson's shampoo bar base.

My family likes it when I use this oval mold:
BAKER DEPOT silicone Mold For Handmade Soap 6 Cavity Oval Shape fat bath bombs Pink Color,Set of 2 https://a.co/d/1bGR5tR

I think you'll have to make your own full-cavity molds if you want bars that are curved all over, like a Dove beauty bar.

There are some full-cavity silicone molds for sale, but the ones I've seen are pretty fancy shapes with a pretty fancy price. Not a simple curvy form.

Here's one seller with some amazing 3D flower molds: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtMoldUS

Bar cleansers with all-over curves (like Dove) are formed in the factory by filling a full-cavity mold with the solid cleanser and using pressure to force the cleanser into the final shape. That kind of forming isn't too practical for how we small-scale makers normally do things.

Not quite what you're looking for, but this seller on Etsy has some lovely open-top molds in amazing shapes: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ElvaMold

I really like the BB oval bar silicone mold.
It's funny how BB shows a tutorial at how using those molds to make avocado shaped soaps 😂 .

Regarding your questions OP, I have no idea how something organic as an avocado shell would support fresh unsaponified soap batter. I myself would find it hazardous. As for your other suggestions using toys, you'd have to check the kind of plastic they are made of.
Check this link I read when I started soaping and needed to gather soaping tools : http://www.natureontheshelf.com/soap-making/soap-making-equipment-and-materials-to-avoid.html

I have a couple of the molds recommended above. One side is still flat. When I remove the soap from the mold I run a vegetable peeler around the sharp corner where the rounded portion meets the flat portion. I also bevel all of my soaps because I don’t like that sharp corner on bars that I cut from a loaf mold. Any open mold, like an avocado shell, will have that same sharp corner. A silicone mold will be much safer as you are able to sanitize it properly.

Here is the thread that has a bunch of different oval soap options; a lot of those are no longer good links.

I think this one is probably closest to what you are describing, @kinghippy.

You could also purchase a Dove bar and use it to make a silicone mold. :)
If someone were to do that, they would make a few bucks for sure! Everyone wants that shape! For soap and lotion bars!

Ok so i was looking through the major soapmaking moulds and I didnt really find what i was looking for. The main problem that i found is that they tend to make soaps with either designs on them or else flat soaps with sharp edges. And they are really kind of expensive. I’m looking for inexpensive and something that will make the curved design of like a Dove bar.

This wont really be exact…but i was thinking: could i clean out an avocado shell and sterilize it and cut it down to the right size and use that? I realize i would likely have to brace them, but could it work?
Have you seen the mold Market?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240726-101448.png
    Screenshot_20240726-101448.png
    270.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240726-101506.png
    Screenshot_20240726-101506.png
    458 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240726-101604.png
    Screenshot_20240726-101604.png
    427.3 KB · Views: 0
I have used the MoldMarket molds shown above. It does make a nice size/shape bar. I only used them for M&P, and found that the soap could be a little difficult to remove. They are good quality and held up very well. But they are plastic, so be sure to check the amount of heat they will withstand without warping. I'm pretty sure if you CPOP or use heating pads to gel your CP soap it could be problematic.

Latest posts

Back