Timing for adding frosting layer to CP soap? BB gingerbread cake project

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merrysoap

Reaction score
Hello lovely soapers,

I hope everyone is having a blast gearing up for the holidays!

I wanted to make the Brambleberry gingerbread cake CP project as a gift for family and friends this year.

https://www.brambleberry.com/articl...zO1VNa8gUV-mMgGtZ7ozT1PAxLudyOt1qKw-tATr1vvu2

I made the bases and then life happened... that was 2.5 weeks ago. In the Q&A section, it says the frosting layer should be poured within 1-3 days (just after the bases are unmolded) to make sure the layers adhere to each other....

Any thoughts on whether it would be worth it to try pouring the frosting layer this far out? Or is it unlikely to stick to adhere well now that the bases have been curing so long?

Appreciate any comments/ideas!

Happy soaping!!

I just found an older post where folks mentioned steaming an already made loaf before piping a layer of frosting....

Anyone have any experience with this technique?

You can rebatch that top layer just fine as long as you know what you whats missing from it. If you don't, I wouldn't really attempt to rebatch. Too much guess work. You can use it as a laundry soap in that case.

Since you already let the bottom cure, I'd warm it in the oven at 170 for a bit and score the top before pouring the new batch. Make sure the top soap gels. The heat and gelling itself will help make the new soap adhere to the existing soap.

I wouldn't pour rebatch soap on top of the existing bottom though becasue it would have a very hard time adhering. You're going to need to make a new CP batch to pour on top of the existing bottom. Use the rebatched top for another soap or pour it into individual molds.

Aha! A little extra digging and I think I've answered my own question thanks to @galaxyMLP. Will report back on how it goes!

I’ve only done frosting same day, so I’ll be curious how it goes. Be sure to post an update and pics 🥰🌸🥰

Here's the test batch from last night. Despite the terrible picture quality, they actually came out really cute!

These bases had been curing for 2.5 weeks. Based on info I found in various older posts, I popped them in the oven at 170F for about 5 minutes, scored the tops, and poured the frosting...

So far, so good as far as the frosting layer adhering to the base. I guess time will tell for sure. Aside from sacrificing one once they're fully cured, I'm not sure how else to test whether the layers stuck together well enough to hold up to washing.

I frosted the bases I made last night earlier this morning. Fingers crossed they both turn out!

Attachments

• PXL_20240909_153910826.jpg
    PXL_20240909_153910826.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Back