How much water is lost during curing---ANSWERED

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Freemason, Maker, Father, Mover & Shaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I have an experiment I have been conducting since 3/23 (yes thats right almost one year!!!)

The recipe is with a 6% superfat, and was a 1lb recipe... so ... for a bar that started out at 114.8grams, it now weighs 97.7 grams, meaning it has lost just about 15% worth of water weight over the course of the year/curing time...

Just thought you all would find that interesting :)

That IS interesting. Thank you so much for conducting that experiment and for sharing your results.

The amount of evaporation is going to depend on how much water you used to begin with. I've noticed that my shrinkage/weight loss/evaporation decreased in proportion to the amount of water I used.

Deda said:
what was your initial ratio?

which one?? how much water I used???

I used it at a rate of 20% of the recipe (that is with a 15% water discount and 6% lye discount) so the lye solution strength was 32.4% overall.

Overall batch weight:

660.59 g

water used:

132.23 g

lye used:

63.43g 9.6% of total batch weight

80% of the total batch weight

660.59 were oils

1.7% was EO

that answer your ?'s ???

I think. Do you measure water as a percentage of the oil? Or do you use lye weight?

I just wanted to know what your water to lye ratio was. Looks like roughly 2:1.

I wondered because my normal soap only looses around 5 or 6%, but I usually use high olive and as little as 1:1 to 1.5:1

Deda said:
I think. Do you measure water as a percentage of the oil? Or do you use lye weight?

I just wanted to know what your water to lye ratio was. Looks like roughly 2:1.

I wondered because my normal soap only looses around 5 or 6%, but I usually use high olive and as little as 1:1 to 1.5:1

I mostly just use soapmaker3 so it does all that for me :)

"easy button" ??? lol...

but yes its about 2:1 H20:NaOH ratio :)

now as far as weights, how long after pouring are you basing your % loss off of? Keep in mind this bar is a little under a year old :p

IanT said:
now as far as weights, how long after pouring are you basing your % loss off of? Keep in mind this bar is a little under a year old :p

1 day, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 18 months and 2 years. loss is negligible and nearly unmeasurable after 3 months.

But I use much less water from the start.

Latest posts

Back