Hi. Question about a recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusanC

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm pretty new at this I found a recipe online that I love and have been using. It makes 12 pounds of soap and calls for:

3 lbs. water, 17 oz lye, 4 lbs olive oil, 2 lbs. 8 oz coconut oil, 1 lb 8 oz palm oil and 4-6 oz of essential or fragrance oil. It says "To superfat, add 3.2 oz of shea butter to the oils" (which I do)

Underneath this recipe, it says "same recipe for a 2.5 lb batch" and calls for:

9 oz water, 4.6 oz lye, 16 oz olive oil, 10 oz coconut oil and 6 oz palm oil.

The recipe does not say ANYTHING about superfatting and adding shea butter OR how much fragrance to put in. Does anyone know WHY this would be omitted and how to figure it out?

i would recommend choosing a much smaller amount and take the ingredients and type them in on a lye calculator like the one at soapcalc.com it gives you a choice for super fatting amount and is usually set at like 5% SF already. don't trust a recipe until you have checked everything for yourself.

If you want to superfat your smaller recipe in a similar way as the larger recipe, you would want to use .8 oz. of shea.

This was figured by dividing 3.2 by 128 oz. and coming up with .025. I times this with 32 oz. of smaller recipe and get .08 oz.

For your fragrance, using the same ratio as your larger recipe, it looks like 4 oz. for 8 lbs. of soap equals 1 oz. to 2 lbs. soap.

I hope this helps. :roll:

Back