Has anyone used an alcohol intermediary extraction in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin

Reaction score
Hello all,

I did a search but didn’t see much. I tried an alcohol intermediary extraction with calendula and high oleic sunflower oil. It came out darker than anything I’ve made before. I’d like to use it in soap but am curious if/how the small amount of alcohol will affect the batter. Has anyone tried this before? I’m thinking it might accelerate trace, but I’m not sure by how much.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0972.jpeg
    IMG_0972.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I think @curlycoat2 do soaps including this kind of extraction.
I'm also wondering what alcohol does in soap since I've used a alcohol based fragrance in my last batch. Since so many fragrances have alcohol in them, I would guess it doesn't do much, or if it does something, the amount left in your infusion would probably be little enough compared to what you get in fragrances.

I think @curlycoat2 do soaps including this kind of extraction.
I'm also wondering what alcohol does in soap since I've used an alcohol based fragrance in my last batch. Since so many fragrances have alcohol in them, I would guess it doesn't do much, or if it does something, the amount left in your infusion would probably be little enough compared to what you get in fragrances.
Thanks, Elise. I’ve used it when making KOH liquid soaps to speed up saponification. I’m a little worried about soap on a stick if it does the same thing with NaOH.

Maybe someone more experienced will provide better informations than me then. I didn't know that alcohol could be used to do that.
It was an option listed in Failor’s book on liquid soaps. I struggled with other methods, but adding an ounce of alcohol worked beautifully for me.

Alcohol in any significant amount will speed up trace. In CP soaps, it often leads to "soap on a stick," i.e., seized soap batter. I get little to no reaction if it's added after the cook in HP soap which has tested as zap-free.

I'm guessing there is a way to remove the alcohol from the intermediary extraction; perhaps heating it so that the alcohol cooks off? Hopefully someone with a more scientific answer will chime in here.

Alcohol in any significant amount will speed up trace. In CP soaps, it often leads to "soap on a stick," i.e., seized soap batter. I get little to no reaction if it's added after the cook in HP soap which has tested as zap-free.

I'm guessing there is a way to remove the alcohol from the intermediary extraction; perhaps heating it so that the alcohol cooks off? Hopefully someone with a more scientific answer will chime in here.
Thanks, AliOops. That was my concern. I wondered what level constitutes “significant.”

Yes I do use alcohol to extract color from plants. I have had a lot of fun with soap on a stick and jelly in about 2 minutes as well once the alcohol hits the soap.

I evaporate my alcohol component out with heat and also time. It gives the most AMAZING depth of color to the infusion. I have had full blown red tat has lasted for 12 months and my paprika lasts for years if I use alcohol as one step of the infusion

even the tiniest slick of alcohol on the infusion gives me jelly in the mould - super fun I have to admit hahahaa

Yes I do use alcohol to extract color from plants. I have had a lot of fun with soap on a stick and jelly in about 2 minutes as well once the alcohol hits the soap.

I evaporate my alcohol component out with heat and also time. It gives the most AMAZING depth of color to the infusion. I have had full blown red tat has lasted for 12 months and my paprika lasts for years if I use alcohol as one step of the infusion

even the tiniest slick of alcohol on the infusion gives me jelly in the mould - super fun I have to admit hahahaa
Thanks, Curlycoat2! I’m not seeing any alcohol slick on my infusion, but I can smell it. How are you evaporating it out? Do you do it as part of heating your oils or in a separate process. I’m having a similar experience re: depth of color. This infusion is darker than anything I’ve made before.

Thanks, Curlycoat2! I’m not seeing any alcohol slick on my infusion, but I can smell it. How are you evaporating it out? Do you do it as part of heating your oils or in a separate process. I’m having a similar experience re: depth of color. This infusion is darker than anything I’ve made before.
Benjamin if you can smell it then there is alcohol present so I would give it more time.

Thanks! Will is evaporate by itself or should I heat it?
it will evaporate over time by itself. This is not a quick method but it is well worth the wait. I dont recommend heat over time for any plant infusion

Back