- Couple of Q's for foaming whipped SSS-

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K a y

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a few Quick questions please, for the more experienced artists in the pack

What would be A Body SAFE reputable/reliable go to brand for fragrance essential oil that you could put into a whipped sugar soap scrub base?

How do you feel about colorants..Micah? I've heard that the mica could potentially be unsafe? Even the so called " body safe " brands of it.

Also.. do ya'll think a regular hand mixer or a stick blender would be ultimately all around better in the making of the foaming WSSS (whipped sugar soap scrub) ? ?

Appreciate thoughts & advice guys

Thnx very much☆

Any of the reputable bath and body ingredient suppliers mentioned here on SMF are good sources for body-safe scents and micas. Check the supporting documents for the safe usage rate for scrubs.

You definitely don’t want to use a stick blender to whip your scrubs; it isn’t made for that and will quickly burn out. A stand mixer or hand-held mixer is the way to go.

Last edited:
Any of the reputable bath and body ingredient suppliers mentioned here on SMF are good sources for body-safe scents and micas. Check the supporting documents for the safe usage rate for scrubs.

You definitely don’t want to use a stick blender to whip your scrubs; it isn’t made for that and will quickly burn out. A stand mixer or hand-held mixer is the way to go.

Oh hey I really truly appreciate your guidance! I have yet to make my first batch.. long story in a nut shell
The entire past year has been literally turned upside down with my beloved parent and very very best friend passing away so I never got around to making it yet. It was something we were supposed to do together too. Ahh.

Switching gears,
I ordered the Stephenson foam base then as well but it eventually ended up going bad. I'll re purchase again. Or maybe I will find something better?
Don't know...
Don't really know too much yet, I'll get there though. I'm basically fresh brand new to the beautiful soap scene and I know myself and wallet are drained dead tired of ordering my foaming WSSS from etsy in exchange for an arm ad leg. Don't get me wrong- I absolutely LA la LOVE etsy! Yu can't blame someone for wanting to get paid for their products howevwr...at the same time, when you can create it on your own for a fraction of the cost, it makes you double think the semi steep pricing.
I love creating! Jist the thought of it is oh so exciting, yet calming .
It's the best of both worlds 🥰🫶

Thank you again for your help!!
Bless your heart

My favorite sugar scrub recipe is this one purchased from Etsy. Using this recipe, you make your own base instead of buying a premade base. This base has never gone bad even after sitting for a year in my soap cabinet. More than a few of us here have made it and love it. The seller also has a FB group to provide support for those who make any of her recipes (all of which are winners in my book).

I'm so sorry to hear of your parent passing away. Hopefully the creative process will bring some joy in the midst of the sadness.

My favorite sugar scrub recipe is this one purchased from Etsy. Using this recipe, you make your own base instead of buying a premade base. This base has never gone bad even after sitting for a year in my soap cabinet. More than a few of us here have made it and love it. The seller also has a FB group to provide support for those who make any of her recipes (all of which are winners in my book).

I'm so sorry to hear of your parent passing away. Hopefully the creative process will bring some joy in the midst of the sadness

I'm so sorry to hear of your parent passing away. Hopefully the creative process will bring some joy in the midst of the sadness.
Oh how cool. I have seen this exact ad on etsy too. Now that i see you experienced gals vouch for it, I will most definitely get this and give it a whirl. Who knows.. it very well could blow away the more expensive pre mades.. Thanks so much for everything. Bless you.

Oh how cool. I have seen this exact ad on etsy too. Now that i see you experienced gals vouch for it, I will most definitely get this and give it a whirl. Who knows.. it very well could blow away the more expensive pre mades.. Thanks so much for everything. Bless you.
You are welcome. I personally do feel like this recipe surpasses any other premade scrub that I’ve purchased, and I get lots of requests for it. Plus, it’s so fun to use something you made, right? 😀

You are welcome. I personally do feel like this recipe surpasses any other premade scrub that I’ve purchased, and I get lots of requests for it. Plus, it’s so fun to use something you made, right? 😀
YES, yes indeed, it is beyond fun & find it somewhat relaxing at the same time lol (wow I haven't said lol in 15 yrs .. I feel like a total geek haha😁)

I ordered the digital download last night and I see the lady is saying you'll need a double boiler, so I started looking around for an affordable one today. I went on Amazon however I see you have to make sure to read a good part of the reviews. Just cause it looks like a good deal, doesn't mean it truly is l.

Oh, I see the lady in her recipe also suggested an immersion stick blender?
Really... for a foam whipped sugar soap scrub recipe?? That's best...?

I mean, myself, I would think that what you had suggested to me would be the best correct tool. That being thehe old school hand mixer, right? Cause, in this recipe, we DO want air whipped into this recipe and I believe the hand mixer is best for adding air.
Hmm 🤔🤔
oh, pls ,stop and correct me at any time As I don't know too much ..yet.

I checked out some of the shops she suggests to purchase materials from and not everyone stocks all needed items so I may have to get from multiple distributors.
I was gna ask you.. do you have an overall preference on where to go to get your materials fron?
A solid reputable and reliable distributor.
I almost feel like there are too many suppliers to choose from.
That is, if you don't mind sharing it.

Do you mind me asking you these things too
I'm full of questions haha

I absolutely don't mind the questions at all! So many people have helped me along the way. :)

Honestly, I hate using a double-boiler. I just melt everything in the microwave, and it turns out just fine.

Regarding the stickblender, that is only used for making the base. However, when you whip the base with the sugar into a scrub, she recommends the handheld mixer or stand mixer.

Often I do end up having to order supplies from different sites, including MakingCosmetics, MakingSkinCare, Windy Point, LotionCrafter, Brambleberry, and Wholesale Supplies Plus.

I absolutely don't mind the questions at all! So many people have helped me along the way. :)

Honestly, I hate using a double-boiler. I just melt everything in the microwave, and it turns out just fine.

Regarding the stickblender, that is only used for making the base. However, when you whip the base with the sugar into a scrub, she recommends the handheld mixer or stand mixer.

Often I do end up having to order supplies from different sites, including MakingCosmetics, MakingSkinCare, Windy Point, LotionCrafter, Brambleberry, and Wholesale Supplies Plus.
Nooo fricken way! You don't need the double boiler & I CAN use the micro to melt materials?!!? Oh weee
This is too exciting. I wouls have thought that the micro wasn't suitable because
Maybe in heating some of the ingredients it would or could cause a potential hazard ...
So cool. Very very interesting.
Thank you for clearing up the blender issue too..
Hmm
So what do you thibk ...do I get like a cheapie stick and then like a Hamilton bay hand mixer for the sugar step?

I don't plan to put extreme heavy usage on these tools and plan to have only for my own personal make& use.

This is just great 😄🥰🥰

As long as your ingredient container can handle the high heat of the melted ingredients, and you keep a close eye on things, you will be fine.

A cheapie stickblender and hand mixer are just fine. In fact, the hand-held mixer I have may be Hamilton Beach.

Hi
quick question
as for the bowls/mixing and making bowls, Would it be okay to use ..say a Pyrex bowl, the glass .. to make this in? Or is that stupid and just an overall no go With the blenders and what not..

KitchenAid makes glass bowls as an option for their stand mixers, so yes, a good pyrex bowl is fine. Unlike soap, there is no caustic component to sugar scrubs. :)

KitchenAid makes glass bowls as an option for their stand mixers, so yes, a good pyrex bowl is fine. Unlike soap, there is no caustic component to sugar scrubs. :)
What about the Sci ingredient...I'm supposed to be getting the powder version, no ?
I saw something about noodles but I don't think that is right ingredient for the foaming wsss recipe
I could be wrong though

So I thought to aak 😉

The powder is definitely better for this, yes. But if you can only find noodles, you can grind them to powder in an inexpensive coffee grinder/spice grinder. Of course, you could use a Vitamix blender with the dry blade if you have one, or a food processor. Just be sure to wash it out really well when done. :)

The powder is definitely better for this, yes. But if you can only find noodles, you can grind them to powder in an inexpensive coffee grinder/spice grinder. Of course, you could use a Vitamix blender with the dry blade if you have one, or a food processor. Just be sure to wash it out really well when done. :)
Hi there

Would this be good to use?
It's called baby foam/Sci

I'll see If I can link it here from the store webpage online .. so tou can see it

http://ingredientstodiefor.com/item/BabyFoam_SCI_/1042

Oh,
Do you think 8 ounces of it would be enough for a decent sized batch?

I read over her' understanding percentages' page, howeverrrrr... unfortunately i am just so really terribly baaaad at math to begin with 😬😑😩

I'm gna have to go over it and over it and over it

Hopefully I'll get it in the end 🤔 hah a😉

Hi again hehe 😊🙃
I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for when it comes to gettingthe gram scale..
do you think this gram scale will pass or no good?

what are your thoughts on a better one or nlm aybe rather, a correct gram scal e, what would you pick up?

here's the link:
https://a.co/d/6O2MWeC

Thank you so much 🥰🥰

Good choice; it's very similar to the jeweler's scale that I use for the very small amounts of things like panthenol, preservatives, etc.

For larger quantities, you will want something that holds more weight, like a digital kitchen scale.

Good choice; it's very similar to the jeweler's scale that I use for the very small amounts of things like panthenol, preservatives, etc.

For larger quantities, you will want something that holds more weight, like a digital kitchen scale.
Does it make sense to get two scales or should I invest in just the one? what's your preference.. which kind would you say will cover everything at an affordablw price ? or they don't do that and i would need two?

I went looking around for ingredients yest and came up with a few Q's

I'm curious
As for the stearic acid I went comparing the amount you get vs asking price on various sites and on one of the sites, -I came across a product that was called 'Stearic Acid triple pressed - Raw material' ? would there be any benefit in using this stearic vs the other stearic.. or is there no real difference between the two at all?

Oh & on another site, while in search for optiphen, I came across a product called 'Optiphen plus' which has the two Phenoxyethanol and Caprylyl Glycol in it (just like the optiphen) BUT it also has Sorbic Acid added in for better protection to, I think, help ward off mold, yeast, and fungi.

Is the optiphen plus compatible with the lady's foaming bath butter base recipe ?(the lady's foaming whipped sugar suap scrubrecipe that we purchased from etsy .. i don't know her name)
if so,
Is there any benefit to using the optiphen plus in place of the regular optiphen? Or is it best to stick with the optiphen?

I see that you can add body butters to these foaming wsss too., What do you think about that overall...

The lad;ys recipe (from etsy) does not have any butters in it.
It only has a carrier oil,
I would love to add in to this recipe one butter or even two (to start with haha) curious on this though!!.
I understand it will change the recipe and I would have to play with it. I have no idea how to go about doing soand I don't want to do it on this attempt. I want to first get everything we need for this recipe and make it then after that we can go ahead and play around with adding butters in. I'm just thinking ahead is all.

I know by the time I hit the send button here that another question will be popping up again =)=)

It may be easier for us to chat, possibly thru the email? I have Gmail
If not &you'd like to stay on the forum, that's all right too& we'll jst hAppiLy carry on here, like usual :) =D

Thank YOU SOo much for helping and guiding me with your beautiful knowledge and wisdom * I greatly and sincerely appreciate YOU**

Maybe you can teach me some tips-dos and don'ts when it comes to that. Of course, if you don't mind.

Does it make sense to get two scales or should I invest in just the one? what's your preference.. which kind would you say will cover everything at an affordablw price ? or they don't do that and i would need two? I like having both, but if you can only afford one, get the kitchen scale.

I went looking around for ingredients yest and came up with a few Q's

I'm curious
As for the stearic acid I went comparing the amount you get vs asking price on various sites and on one of the sites, -I came across a product that was called 'Stearic Acid triple pressed - Raw material' ? would there be any benefit in using this stearic vs the other stearic.. or is there no real difference between the two at all? Not that I am aware.

Oh & on another site, while in search for optiphen, I came across a product called 'Optiphen plus' which has the two Phenoxyethanol and Caprylyl Glycol in it (just like the optiphen) BUT it also has Sorbic Acid added in for better protection to, I think, help ward off mold, yeast, and fungi.

Is the optiphen plus compatible with the lady's foaming bath butter base recipe ?(the lady's foaming whipped sugar suap scrubrecipe that we purchased from etsy .. i don't know her name)
if so,
Is there any benefit to using the optiphen plus in place of the regular optiphen? Or is it best to stick with the optiphen? You are fine with either one. I have Optiphen Plus on hand for other recipes, so I also use it in this recipe, as well.

I see that you can add body butters to these foaming wsss too., What do you think about that overall...

The lad;ys recipe (from etsy) does not have any butters in it.
It only has a carrier oil,
I would love to add in to this recipe one butter or even two (to start with haha) curious on this though!!.
I understand it will change the recipe and I would have to play with it. I have no idea how to go about doing soand I don't want to do it on this attempt. I want to first get everything we need for this recipe and make it then after that we can go ahead and play around with adding butters in. I'm just thinking ahead is all. Remember that this is a two-step recipe: you are making a base first, then the scrub. I would make the base exactly as written, without any oils or butters. When you go to make the Foaming sugar scrub, it calls for a certain amount of your pre-prepared base, plus "carrier oil of your choice." That can certainly be a butter if you'd like. Just remember that many butters are prone to going grainy with temperature changes - which are daily occurrences in any shower/bath area. For that reason, a butter may not be the best choice here.

I know by the time I hit the send button here that another question will be popping up again =)=)

It may be easier for us to chat, possibly thru the email? I have Gmail
If not &you'd like to stay on the forum, that's all right too& we'll jst hAppiLy carry on here, like usual :) =D I think that posting here can be helpful for others who can benefit from the discussion, as well. But if it is something you'd rather ask privately, you can send a message just to me by clicking the Envelope icon at the top of the page, which allows for private conversations here on SMF.

Thank YOU SOo much for helping and guiding me with your beautiful knowledge and wisdom * I greatly and sincerely appreciate YOU** You are very welcome.

Maybe you can teach me some tips-dos and don'ts when it comes to that. Of course, if you don't mind.

Ohh wow
So cool. had no idea I could private message folks through this site!

My whole day ran late & now I'm playing catch up. My fur babies are surely waiting on me...
Got to get the food/water and supplies ready now for the outdoor community kitties that I go to every day to assist, provide and care fo r 🐾🐈🐈‍⬛☺️

many thanks 👍
Talk soon Alioop

Back