GW 415 Questions about Soy Wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter

Reaction score
So I have decided to start making bar soap again. I was into it a few years ago but decided, for reasons, I would rather start buying it. Now, I want to get back into it with one goal in mind... I want to make long-lasting hard bar soap for washing my hands.

I do not care about lather. Indeed, for it to be hard and long lasting I want to decrease the water solubility of the soap. And I want to keep it as simple as possible. So for my first try I am using only two oils--avocado oil and fully hydrogenated soybean oil.

IIRC, fully hydrogenated soybean oil is called GW415. I know there are several different types of soy wax but if my memory serves me well the others are used mostly in candle making.

So, am I correct? Is GW 415 what I want?

My second question is, where is the best place to buy this, as far as quality/price?

Also, in my state I cannot just go into a hardware store and buy sodium hydroxide. I need an online source. Do y'all have a favorite? A few years back I would use Essential Depot for most of my soaping needs but so many online reviews of that business are really bad these days.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help.

Welcome back to bar soap!

I don't know anything about soy wax, but I've gotten sodium hydroxide from Wholesale Supplies Plus and Amazon (it's the only soapmaking ingredient I get from Amazon). There are several people here who will be able to tell you all you need to know about soy wax.

Yes GW415 is the correct wax for soap making. You can get good quality wax from Candle Science, but the last time I checked their shipping prices to Virginia were high. They might be lower for you or they may be in a convenient location for you to pick up, since they have a location in NC.

A lot of people on this forum buy the Essential Depot lye through Amazon. I think you have to buy large quantities to get a decent price per lb. So if you don't need large quantities you can check the various soaping suppliers; don't forget to factor in their shipping costs when calculating the cost. I like to get lye from Wholesale Supplies Plus and Bramble Berry, but others may have other suggestions. I would check all recommendations to see what works for you, taking into consideration both quantity and price per pound including shipping.

Latest posts

Back