Goats Milk soap turned Caramel?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunaLion

Reaction score
I attempted to make a 3lb batch of goats milk soap last night using HP. I've read that you can mix goats milk with your oils and just discount some water to make your lye solution. That I did. After I got trace, I let the crockpot do it's job, but my soap never got thick or made it to the 'mashed potato' phase. In fact, the batch just had this burnt smell to it and stayed a runny apple sauce consistency. It passed the zap test in that consistency, so I batched it and this morning it smells, looks, and even feels caramel.

I'm not sure what I did wrong! Is that the result of burning the milk? :thumbdown:

My recipe.
Butters of Mango and Shea. Oils of Olive, Coconut, Rice Bran, Avocado, and Soybean. Palm Kernel Flakes.

I'd hate to waste my ingredients so I'm thinking of re-batching if possible! I've never tried a re-batch before. Can you re-batch any soap gone wrong or can some just not be saved?

Probally did burn a little. Wait til you toss, that amonnia smell will go away.

Here it is. My squishy, caramel soap. :think: It's hard not to take a bite! LOL

soap.jpg

Looks good. It might lighten a little, better than orangy soap sometimes see when it burns.
Ammonia is just the goatsmilk. Sometimes you get it sometimes not, depends on the goat, was it fresh milk?

I used condensed. I really don't like the texture or smell of this soap. I want to re-batch if possible.

I'd wait. I've never tried to HP goat's milk- it turns brown when it gets hot.

As a matter of face, I freeze my goat's milk, and mix the lye into the frozen milk and do my best to keep the lye/milk under 90 degrees so it doesn't burn or turn dark. Alternatively, the water can be reduced and the goat's milk stirred in at trace (during CP).

I think this dark caramel color is from the HP of the goat's milk.

I would not rebatch, and instead wait it out and see.

I'd wait. I've never tried to HP goat's milk- it turns brown when it gets hot.

As a matter of face, I freeze my goat's milk, and mix the lye into the frozen milk and do my best to keep the lye/milk under 90 degrees so it doesn't burn or turn dark. Alternatively, the water can be reduced and the goat's milk stirred in at trace (during CP).

I think this dark caramel color is from the HP of the goat's milk.

I would not rebatch, and instead wait it out and see.

Thank you, Yooper. I just took the other half of the batch out of the PVC Pipe mold and it doesn't look too bad. The smell is very sweet though, and the only way to describe it is caramel smell and texture. I think I am going to take your advice and see what happens to it over time. If it hardens, I think caramel lovers would enjoy the soap.:shifty:

I made a milk soap using condensed goat's milk and it came out darker than my other regular milk soaps. I used the CP method and froze the milk before too. I noticed the condensed milk is darker to begin with so I think I will either cut the condensed goat milk with water next time to see if it lightens, or try to find a supply of fresh goat milk. My soap did lighten with time, but never got quite as light as my regular milk soaps. Hope yours turns out great!

Probably your soap is darker from the caramel FO. I prefer to use regular GM in the quart size carton in the milk section. Do you use a lot of hard oils?
The amount of milk you use too will affect the hardness as milk tends to soften soap, Just needs to cure longer.

I made some last week with lard tallow olive and coconut. It was firm the next morning . I used water for the lye and added a small amount of GM at trace ( just about 4 oz to a 2# batch) Its getting harder by each passing day, The hard oils help keep the lighter color...especially the Lard as it makes a nice white soap,

Last edited:
GM is the only soap I make. I use 100% fresh milk and no water. My standard batch is a creamy beige color. When I make oatmeal/honey it is a pretty caramel color - just what I want. I have not scented or colored any soaps until recently so I like the natural color variations of the soaps. The one thing I hear time and time again is 'your soap looks good enough to eat'. They may look like candy, but fudge won't clean you like my soap can!

Soft GM soap

Im sorry I didn't read close enough. Your issue is not dark soap but soap too soft. Maybe if you use more coconut and olive and drop the rice bran and soy. Olive will take a long time to dry but makes harder soap than RB and Soy. If you go all veggie try a mix coconut olive and shea butter.

I too freeze my goats milk and let the lye melt it all the while stirring. It will turn the milk a pale yellow. I personally like home rendered tallow or lard with coconut and olive. It makes a nice fairly hard GM soap. Or stay with something like Shea or Mango butter if you prefer veggie soap.

It does look good enough to eat...like fudge! I hardly ever HP but maybe it just needs time to harden up.

Latest posts

Back