Honey and goat milk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an answer to my question now! I pulled the liquids bowl out of the freezer after it was all frozen solid and added lye to it slowly. I stirred the lye around the ice/rubbed it into the ice gently so it didn’t flick out of the bowl, and it was completely uneventful. It slowly melted the ice and turned the honey water brown with no hissing, spitting, or volcanoing. I might freeze my honey water every time now.

Last time I did a milk and honey soap, I added the lye to the frozen milk, waited for it to melt completely, then added my honey water to the lye solution and had a small volcano on my hands. Luckily it was in a very tall container so it didn’t rise high enough to spill everywhere that time. Freezing my honey water this time seems to have prevented the lye getting violent.
So I'm so sorry, but I have to ask. I'm relatively new to soaping and I'd like to start using bee products now (I use them in the other products I make but I've been too scared with soaping) so just to make sure I understand- you mixed the honey and gm together first, then froze them totally, then added the lye on top and then normal procedure from there? It works good? I usually freeze mine I to cubes so that's why I'm being a pain. So a whole frozen bowl works? Or cubes is fine? Just want to make sure! Thanks! Sorry again lol

So a whole frozen bowl works? Or cubes is fine?
I'll say what works with your freezer and recipe. If you're intending to use all the liquid as ice and if your freezer has space for a bowl to freeze, go ahead.

I do fingers of ice (about 3") since that's the only tray I have spare for soaping ice. I fill them 3/4 way. My freezer has no space for a bowl. And I like to do about half ice and half water for a warmer lye solution. Cubes are easier to control weight.

Back