Face Scrub Recipe Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm looking to make an oil free face scrub and need some help. I am prone to acne and I've been using the St Ives apricot scrub but want something gentler (thinking about using oat flour or fine coffee grounds).
I can find recipes for an emulsified scrub (generally has oil) and plenty about masks but nothing similar to the St Ives.
I want something I can put in a squeeze bottle and leave in the shower and use it there.
Any recipes/help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Thanks! I've been thinking about taking some of the emulsified scrubs I've seen on here or on swift crafty monkey and subbing glycerin/distilled water for most of the oils. I just worry about it being too thick and I'm not super comfortable with playing around with emulsification formulas.

Thanks! I've been thinking about taking some of the emulsified scrubs I've seen on here or on swift crafty monkey and subbing glycerin/distilled water for most of the oils. I just worry about it being too thick and I'm not super comfortable with playing around with emulsification formulas.
Water and oil aren't good subs for one another in any recipe. They are just too different.

Glycerin can be used in place of some of the oil, but rarely for all of it. It is much stickier and doesn't create the same texture or viscosity as oil would do in an emulsified product.

Have you looked into isopropyl myristate, or perhaps very low comedogenic oils?

Water and oil aren't good subs for one another in any recipe. They are just too different.

Glycerin can be used in place of some of the oil, but rarely for all of it. It is much stickier and doesn't create the same texture or viscosity as oil would do in an emulsified product.

Have you looked into isopropyl myristate, or perhaps very low comedogenic oils?
I didn't know I could use IPM instead of oils. I have that and dimethicone for my lotions.
I've looked into low comedogenic oils. I think I might make a small batch with some to try but I am wary of oils since I am very acne prone. I use an eye balm with avocado oil, calendula, mango, and Coco butter and it causes me to break out around my eyes if I use it more than 1-2 times a week. Works great at getting rid of bags when I do use it.

I didn't know I could use IPM instead of oils. I have that and dimethicone for my lotions.
I've looked into low comedogenic oils. I think I might make a small batch with some to try but I am wary of oils since I am very acne prone. I use an eye balm with avocado oil, calendula, mango, and Coco butter and it causes me to break out around my eyes if I use it more than 1-2 times a week. Works great at getting rid of bags when I do use it.
I have the same issues, so I completely empathize with having to choose between wrinkles or pimples. 😆 Low comedogenic oils definitely help me. Have you seen this list which rates so many oils? Someone else here posted it first but I can't remember who.

There are many zero and low comedogenic rated oils that won't clog your pores. I've never felt the need to make a separate eye cream (laziness?!!) and the face cream I make is water-free, 100% oils and butters (b/c of allergies to preservatives) and has never caused break outs. All of the listed oils/butters in your eye cream can cause blocked pores. I'd switch to Kokum or Illipe instead of Coco butter and then decide what benefits you'd like to get from the other oils/butters. A small amount of Mango is nice in a face cream but I'd ditch the Avocado. Meadowfoam, Abyssinian, Squalane, Red Raspberry Seed, are 0-1, and great on the face. Jojoba is rated 2 but is similar to the sebum produced by the skin and also great to include. If you decide to use your cream all over the face, remember that the most common reason for blocked pores with non-comedogenic oils, is using too much product. I always rec customers only use 1/2 a pea sized amount of whipped face cream on entire face and neck. Use it on damp skin and it will glide easily and trap in the moisture. There are some incredible oils out there to have fun with!

Have you seen this list which rates so many oils? Someone else here posted it first but I can't remember who.
I think you linked the wrong thing but don't get rid of it since the link to essential oil substitutes is extremely helpful as well! I do have a few pages saved talking about oils/butters and their comedogenic number. I've been referencing them to make face lotion for family. (I buy fancy oil free lotion currently)

@ToniO Thanks! I got given the eye cream so that's why i have it and have been using it.
I'd love to buy more oils but I'm finding out that the low comedogenic oils are currently out of my price range.

@ToniO Thanks! I got given the eye cream so that's why i have it and have been using it.
I'd love to buy more oils but I'm finding out that the low comedogenic oils are currently out of my price range.
I totally get that! The eye cream you have would work great on your cuticles or dry skin patches so it doesn't get wasted. Abyssinian oil is a great oil for hair, face and body if you can only buy one and you can probably find it in small quantities and at a good price in many locations!

Thanks everyone! I decided to try an emulsified scrub off swift crafty monkey's site.
I managed to get some Jojoba oil on sale but couldn't find any Abyssinian oil (if you know a good place to get it let me know). I think I'll make a 3oz batch and see how it goes. Just have to wait for the containers to put it in to arrive. So any advice on adjustments is welcome!

10% E-wax
5% cetyl alcohol
5% stearic acid
10% mango butter
29% jojoba oil
39% apricot kernel oil
1% salicylic acid
1% optiphen

X% oat flour

I will follow the advice of those wiser than me and add the oat flour in small incremental amounts until I get to what I want.

Thanks everyone! I decided to try an emulsified scrub off swift crafty monkey's site.
I managed to get some Jojoba oil on sale but couldn't find any Abyssinian oil (if you know a good place to get it let me know). I think I'll make a 3oz batch and see how it goes. Just have to wait for the containers to put it in to arrive. So any advice on adjustments is welcome!

10% E-wax
5% cetyl alcohol
5% stearic acid
10% mango butter
29% jojoba oil
39% apricot kernel oil
1% salicylic acid
1% optiphen

X% oat flour

I will follow the advice of those wiser than me and add the oat flour in small incremental amounts until I get to what I want.
I get my Abyssinian oil from Jedwards but it's a gallon, which is too much for most ppl. Only $61 tho, which is a good price. You could buy a couple of ounces on Amazon to check it out. Good luck with your scrub!

I have the same issues, so I completely empathize with having to choose between wrinkles or pimples. 😆 Low comedogenic oils definitely help me. Have you seen this list which rates so many oils? Someone else here posted it first but I can't remember who.
Don't let anyone take any of your wrinkles away, I'm sure you earned everyone of those, that's how I think about mine anyway, a life well lived, some people never get that chance.

High linoleic sunflower oil is non comedogenic. I use sunflower oil in all of my skincare products. On a side note, kokum butter is also non comedogenic.

Don't let anyone take any of your wrinkles away, I'm sure you earned everyone of those, that's how I think about mine anyway, a life well lived, some people never get that chance.
Amen to that, @Relle - great way to look at it! I already quit coloring my hair about three years ago now, and it saves so much time and money, too. Plus there is the Proverb that says "The grey head is a crown of glory." Time to bring back the culture of respect for elders, right?? :)

Amen to that, @Relle - great way to look at it! I already quit coloring my hair about three years ago now, and it saves so much time and money, too. Plus there is the Proverb that says "The grey head is a crown of glory." Time to bring back the culture of respect for elders, right?? :)
I know it's different for men, but I earned all my greys and wear them with pride😁

Lotioncrafter sells Abyssinian oil
Thanks I always forget about them.
I get my Abyssinian oil from Jedwards
Never heard of them but I'll have to add it my list of oil stores.
I have the same issues, so I completely empathize with having to choose between wrinkles or pimples. 😆
No wrinkles or grey hair yet but give me a few more years with my toddler and 4 month old and that will change! My husband is already developing some nice grey/white hair.

Back