Face Scrub Recipe Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good price! Several months ago I was looking for a small amount of Abyssinian oil (one or two ounces), and saw much more expensive prices at Amazon for that quantity. Ha ha, not that I was influenced at all by some of the other cool stuff Lotioncrafter sells.... 🤤

I know it's different for men, but I earned all my greys and wear them with pride😁
My husband gave me all my grey hairs, with all of his accidents, the first one 1 yr after we got married when he was electricuted with 11,000 (yes, thousand )volts of electricity.. It makes 240 volts in the house sound tame. He has also been hit by lightning twice. So I earned mine.

My husband gave me all my grey hairs, with all of his accidents, the first one 1 yr after we got married when he was electricuted with 11,000 (yes, thousand )volts of electricity.. It makes 240 volts in the house sound tame. He has also been hit by lightning twice. So I earned mine.
Wow! Once is rare. I don't even know what to call twice🤯🤯

Hi everyone I'm looking to make an oil free face scrub and need some help. I am prone to acne and I've been using the St Ives apricot scrub but want something gentler (thinking about using oat flour or fine coffee grounds).
I can find recipes for an emulsified scrub (generally has oil) and plenty about masks but nothing similar to the St Ives.
I want something I can put in a squeeze bottle and leave in the shower and use it there.
Any recipes/help would be appreciated!

I didn't read the entire thread and only skimmed some parts, so sorry if I'm repeating what others suggested but here are some thoughts.

I wouldn't use coffee grounds on my face (even find espresso grind) because it will still cause micro scratches on the skin that can exacerbate acne. I'm sure you know that this is also why the St Ices scrub has recently fallen out of favor with most. While it can make you feel like you're glowing at first, in the long run you risk damaging your skin barrier and invite acne-causing bacteria in.

Salicylic acid is notoriously difficult to dissolve. I'm actually not sure if it will dissolve in the oils you've listed, but if you have trouble try heating the oils and be prepared that you may not succeed.

Someone else you can try is exfoliating with AHAs. I make a 10% glycolic acid toner with some green tea extract that's similar to The Ordinary's. It's literally those ingredients + water + preservative. I squirt some on a cotton pad in the morning and rub it on my face before applying face cream. It's gentle and effective.

The St Ives has been helping my acne for a few years but I've always felt it was too harsh on the scrub factor. I recently started DIYing but found soap to be too harsh/drying for my face even with little to no coconut oil.
I wouldn't use coffee grounds on my face (even find espresso grind) because it will still cause micro scratches on the skin
Good to know! My plan was to start with oat flour and then increase to something more scrubby if that didn't seem good enough.
Salicylic acid is notoriously difficult to dissolve
Ultimately not too much of a problem since I'm trying to make a wash off product. But didn't know so thanks!

Back