Emulsified Sugar Scrub Questions!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, gotcha. The greasy feeling is probably from the oils that you used. You can offset that with a little bit of isopropyl myristate, or you can use lighter oils like grapeseed (low price) or meadowfoam seed (pricey). You can also try upping the emulsifier or lowering the amount of oil to see if that helps.

Make one change at a time, and small batches, so you know what is working and what isn't. You got this!
got it! Thank you so much for all your help today! Im going to make a small test batch tomorrow

Ah, gotcha. The greasy feeling is probably from the oils that you used. You can offset that with a little bit of isopropyl myristate, or you can use lighter oils like grapeseed (low price) or meadowfoam seed (pricey). You can also try upping the emulsifier or lowering the amount of oil to see if that helps.

Make one change at a time, and small batches, so you know what is working and what isn't. You got this!

Yes, you change it back to weight when you are ready to make your recipe. You can use one of the other calculators on that same page to help you with this. Also, I do recommend grams because the math is so much easier! For instance, if you make a 100g test batch, your gram numbers would exactly match your percentages. For a 1000g batch, it would be your percentage number with another zero on the end. That's my kind of math!
I made a small test batch today, 5.0% ewax, 19.40% melt and pour, 17.40% oil, and 58.20% sugar. I use grams when measuring. It had alot of oil on top, so much so that I had to put a papertowel on it to sop up the oil. I took a few out of the mold, and it does hold its shape, but its oily on the bottom.. I usually give the cubes a sugar bath and let them sit in sugar for awhile beforeI package them. But I am wondering if they are too oily? Should they be this oily? I am using Almond oil. I ordered some grapeseed oil to see if that helps. Any suggestions on where I may be going wrong? I really feel they should harden up a bit, rather than being soft and oily. Thanks!

Honestly, I think it's just too much liquid oil. I normally use more butters or fatty alcohols, and very little liquid oil. Maybe take 10% of the oil and change that to shea butter or mango butter.

Honestly, I think it's just too much liquid oil. I normally use more butters or fatty alcohols, and very little liquid oil. Maybe take 10% of the oil and change that to shea butter or mango butter.
I'll give it a try tomorrow. I have mango, shea and cocoa butter on hand. so It would be 10% mango and 7.40% oil. or I could go even lower with the liquid oil to 12% mango or another butter and 5.40 % liquid oil. ( total of the oil in the recipe is 17.40%). One last question- I will first make a small test batch and if it turns out, can I make double recipes going forward?
d24ae4df-5787-436a-8c46-a3abb1bc2c8a

Latest posts

Back