Discolored soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebFiel3

Reaction score
I have been making soap for a little while but I recently made a soap that has dark discoloration even after adding TD. When I left for vacation a week ago it was beautiful. I'm not sure what happened or if it's molded inside.

Attachments

• 20240613_113552.jpg
    20240613_113552.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240613_113522.jpg
    20240613_113522.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240613_113508.jpg
    20240613_113508.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240613_113541.jpg
    20240613_113541.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240613_113522.jpg
    20240613_113522.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
What fragrance did you use? Anything containing vanillin, and a few that don’t, will cause browning like that. It is cosmetic only, and I agree with @lsg that it is still pretty. Give it time to cure as the final color may be even better!

What fragrance did you use? Anything containing vanillin, and a few that don’t, will cause browning like that. It is cosmetic only, and I agree with @lsg that it is still pretty. Give it time to cure as the final color may be even better!
I used a forever yours dupe. I think it does have vanillin but I added TD. Maybe just not enough. I will wait for the final cure before I panic! Thanks for you input. I just don't want it to look like it's been dropped in the dirt. Ugh

I used a forever yours dupe. I think it does have vanillin but I added TD. Maybe just not enough.
Depending on the vanillin content, no matter how much TD you add it may not be enough. It varies a bit how much TD will lighten the soap - I have an FO that is 2% vanillin and no matter what I do [VCS, TD, unfragranced portions] it always turns brown, so I do that soap in black. On the flip side, I have a 5.5% vanillin that TD works wonderfully to create contrast. It's best to check the supplier notes for discoloration, and judge from there what you can do with coloring the FO.

Maybe just not enough.

I don't think TD is going to help. You can plan the tan color into your design, though. Reserve some of the batter to add your color to. Then, add the FO to th breast of the batter. The colored portion will stay nice while the rest discolors. Unless you have a particularly difficult FO that bleeds into the colored portion.

Depending on the vanillin content, no matter how much TD you add it may not be enough. It varies a bit how much TD will lighten the soap - I have an FO that is 2% vanillin and no matter what I do [VCS, TD, unfragranced portions] it always turns brown, so I do that soap in black. On the flip side, I have a 5.5% vanillin that TD works wonderfully to create contrast. It's best to check the supplier notes for discoloration, and judge from there what you can do with coloring the FO.
Thank you

You can try vanilla color stabilizer with FOs that contain vanilla. It works for a while.:)
I thought that was only for melt and pour soap not cold process?

I don't think TD is going to help. You can plan the tan color into your design, though. Reserve some of the batter to add your color to. Then, add the FO to th breast of the batter. The colored portion will stay nice while the rest discolors. Unless you have a particularly difficult FO that bleeds into the colored portion.
I will try that.

The Bitter Creek VCS works for my CP soaps.

Thanks! I'll look it up.
I believe Bitter Creek semi-closed up shop - the website is still up, but last time I tried to order VCS I put five 16oz bottles in my cart and the shipping at checkout was $70+ so I said "No thank you" and didn't try it any further place the order. This was February or March. If anyone has tried recently and gotten a better shipping price (or gotten a refund for the correct amount after the order was placed), please let me know. Their VCS is hands-down the best. Slightly off-topic is the thread regarding make your own VCS (I can't remember the thread now) that I have not tried ... yet. I'm down to my last BC VCS bottle so I need to decide soon if I'm going down the DIY route or if I'll embrace the brown...

Edited for a bit of clarity.

I believe Bitter Creek semi-closed up shop - the website is still up, but last time I tried to order VCS I put five 16oz bottles in my cart and the shipping at checkout was $70+ so I said "No thank you" and didn't try it any further. This was February or March. If anyone has tried recently and gotten a better shipping price (or gotten a refund for the correct amount after the order was placed), please let me know. Their VCS is hands-down the best. Slightly off-topic is the thread regarding make your own VCS (I can't remember the thread now) that I have not tried ... yet. I'm down to my last BC VCS bottle so I need to decide soon if I'm going down the DIY route or if I'll embrace the brown...
I had just purchased my stash of BC VCS when we started the homemade VCS thread here some time ago. I don’t use it often, so it’s taken me a long time to even get close to finishing what I had ordered (which was a lot, so maximize the shipping fees, IIRC).

Once this last bit is gone, based on the testing notes from Todd, I plan to follow his recipe in that thread.

You also have glycerin rivers that seem to have caused the discoloration to concentrate in some areas of the soap. It's interesting that the discoloration looks like particles, as opposed to diffuse color changes. I can't recall seeing that effect before. As interesting as it is, I understand why you might be disappointed, but maybe you can think of it as a new method in your creative soap making repertoire. I would love to see future photos of the soap as it does or does not change.

Latest posts

Back