Discolored soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@DebFiel3 I recently tried Todd Ziegler’s vanilla color stabilizer in a batch of Dragons Blood soap. It works!

Without ZVCS:
IMG_5184.jpeg

With ZVCS:
IMG_5808.jpeg

I used Trial by Fire red (NS) in both batches, but not at a strong enough ratio to get a full-blown red, hence the pinkish color. In the ZVCS bars, I did not swirl the gold glitter, which I like. The smell in the cured ZVCS bars is a true Dragons Blood with none of the questionable notes of the color stabilizer when it is first added. FYI per Todd’s suggestion, I did not use the full amount of the stabilizer. It’s possible that the color might have been a little brighter without it, but I’m not sure.

This is good information for me to have for fragrances that tint soap brown or beige. I want to try ZVCS with a coconut fragrance next. Future Dragon’s Blood soap will, however, be allowed to age to its glorious Brown shade and incorporate the gold glitter swirl. This is the year of the wood dragon, so my DB soaps are perfect in there unstabilized state. 😁

Hope this information and the pics help!

@DebFiel3 I recently tried Todd Ziegler’s vanilla color stabilizer in a batch of Dragons Blood soap. It works!

Without ZVCS:
View attachment 77918

With ZVCS:
View attachment 77920

I used Trial by Fire red (NS) in both batches, but not at a strong enough ratio to get a full-blown red, hence the pinkish color. In the ZVCS bars, I did not swirl the gold glitter, which I like. The smell in the cured ZVCS bars is a true Dragons Blood with none of the questionable notes of the color stabilizer when it is first added. FYI per Todd’s suggestion, I did not use the full amount of the stabilizer. It’s possible that the color might have been a little brighter without it, but I’m not sure.

This is good information for me to have for fragrances that tint soap brown or beige. I want to try ZVCS with a coconut fragrance next. Future Dragon’s Blood soap will, however, be allowed to age to its glorious Brown shade and incorporate the gold glitter swirl. This is the year of the wood dragon, so my DB soaps are perfect in there unstabilized state. 😁

Thank you!

Thank you!
Where can I buy that?;

Without ZVCS:
View attachment 77918

With ZVCS:
View attachment 77920

You can make it yourself. Just have to buy two ingredients.
It's discussed here.

Thanks.

I believe Bitter Creek semi-closed up shop - the website is still up, but last time I tried to order VCS I put five 16oz bottles in my cart and the shipping at checkout was $70+ so I said "No thank you" and didn't try it any further place the order. This was February or March. If anyone has tried recently and gotten a better shipping price (or gotten a refund for the correct amount after the order was placed), please let me know. Their VCS is hands-down the best. Slightly off-topic is the thread regarding make your own VCS (I can't remember the thread now) that I have not tried ... yet. I'm down to my last BC VCS bottle so I need to decide soon if I'm going down the DIY route or if I'll embrace the brown...

Edited for a bit of clarity.
If VCS is Virginia Candle Supply, I just ordered from them two days ago without incident. Received order confirmation so I would say they are still doing business.My order came to $60 and shipping was 414. I am in Missouri. Where are you? Distance is generally one of the main drivers for shipping costs (in addition to weight).My order was 12 lbs.

If VCS is Virginia Candle Supply, I just ordered from them two days ago without incident. Received order confirmation so I would say they are still doing business.My order came to $60 and shipping was 414. I am in Missouri. Where are you? Distance is generally one of the main drivers for shipping costs (in addition to weight).My order was 12 lbs.
VCS in this context is vanilla color stabilizer. 😊

Back