Cure time ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotaryVirus

Reaction score
Im planning on making a batch for Christmas gifts and want to know if my recipe will be ready by dec if made now
25% tallow
25% lard
20% olive
20% coconut
10% castor

Im planning on making a batch for Christmas gifts and want to know if my recipe will be ready by dec if made now
25% tallow
25% lard
20% olive
20% coconut
10% castor
If this were my recipe, although it is not a question you asked, I would lower the castor to 5% and up the lard to 30%, which will give you more working time. You will be surprised how much more work time you get when reducing the castor. Castor does not add bubbles it supports bubbles. Adding Sorbitol or sugar will help lather.

To answer the original question yes it will be a beautiful soap by Dec, but it would help deter DOS. I use EDTA or Sodium Gluconate as a chelator.

If this were my recipe, although it is not a question you asked, I would lower the castor to 5% and up the lard to 30%, which will give you more working time. You will be surprised how much more work time you get when reducing the castor. Castor does not add bubbles it supports bubbles. Adding Sorbitol or sugar will help lather.

To answer the original question yes it will be a beautiful soap by Dec, but it would help deter DOS. I use EDTA or Sodium Gluconate as a chelator.
Thank for info ….what amounts do you use for edta or SG ? Also what % OO does cure time start to extend?

Back