Camel hump fat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NaOH Sap is .144 approx. I Carrot Seed Oil for the sap in soapee.
Why do you say carrot seed oil? Arent there any fats that are closer in properties than carrot seed?
According to the following, it seems that you can use tallow (190–202 mg KOH/g) or lard (192–203 mg KOH/g) for the SAP value of Camel Hump Fat. Which makes a lot more sense to me than carrot seed oil, cold pressed which, as far as I know, is an essential oil, a pricey one at that! I was quite surprised to see it listed on SoapCalc. Please see Carrot Oil thread.

Source:
3.2.2. Saponification value
The saponification value of Hachi fat was 202.3.

This value is directly related to the mean molecular mass (Ali, Ali, Ahmed, & Ullah, 2008). The low saponification value indicates that the Hachi fat has a higher molecular weight than common oils. This higher molecular weight is due to presence of high proportion of long chain fatty acids C16 and C18 (more than 80%).

Camel Hump Oil made from the fat is used in cooking and is said to be beneficial to skin.

Last edited:
According to the following, it seems that you can use tallow (190–202 mg KOH/g) or lard (192–203 mg KOH/g) for the SAP value of Camel Hump Fat. Which makes a lot more sense to me than carrot seed oil, cold pressed which, as far as I know, is an essential oil, a pricey one at that! I was quite surprised to see it listed on SoapCalc.

Source:
http://ssu.ac.ir/cms/fileadmin/user..._dromedarius__fat_extracted_from_the_hump.pdf

Camel Hump Oil made from the fat is used in cooking and is said to be beneficial to skin.
It really makes no difference if you use the Carrot Seed Oil Sap Value. Any soap calc I have used lists it and it works perfectly with Camel Fat which I have used many times in soap. I had a line of Camel fat soaps for a few years. When I researched the particular hump fat I was using the Sap value was closest to Carrot seed sap values.

What an interesting thread! I see now that the Desert Farms place referenced a few years back in the original part of the thread, does sell raw camel milk now. Based on your description, @cmzaha I'm very tempted to try the soap with camel fat and either powdered or fresh milk. Did you notice any smell similar to lard or tallow? Just wondering if I need to add some FO or EO. ;)

According to the following, it seems that you can use tallow (190–202 mg KOH/g) or lard (192–203 mg KOH/g) for the SAP value of Camel Hump Fat. Which makes a lot more sense to me than carrot seed oil, cold pressed which, as far as I know, is an essential oil, a pricey one at that! I was quite surprised to see it listed on SoapCalc. Please see Carrot Oil thread.

Source:
http://ssu.ac.ir/cms/fileadmin/user..._dromedarius__fat_extracted_from_the_hump.pdf

Thank you zany. After some of my own research, I arrived at the same conclusion. There was the tallow and after that the duck believe it or not. I could not answer until now because I was banned for 'argumentativeness' when I merely defended myself against labels that were placed on me for speaking the facts about HP vs Cold process. Took the matter to some less bias experts and researched it AGAIN. coming up with the same conclusion. Of course scientific facts are independent of personal or group bias.
Anyway, nice to see you again and thank you for giving me some scientific support confirming my research. There were some who said that there are MANY other fats close to camel fat but failed to name them. Turns out - there weren't. For one reason, that there are only a few animal fats listed and another reason is that vegetable fat is not suitable as a substitute to an animal fat as closely as another animal fat. So sheep or beef.

It really makes no difference if you use the Carrot Seed Oil Sap Value. Any soap calc I have used lists it and it works perfectly with Camel Fat which I have used many times in soap. I had a line of Camel fat soaps for a few years. When I researched the particular hump fat I was using the Sap value was closest to Carrot seed sap values.
Do you think that you could provide your justification for this choice? Some numbers?
I mean how did you arrive at "It doesn't make any difference?". Also, out of all the oils and fats listed, how did you arrive at a carrot vs an animal or even a higher fat vegetable such as perhaps avocado (just an example).
I am just asking very scientific questions here - there should never be any HOT TOPICS among scientific thinkers who are seeking the facts and the evidences.
Thanks.

Back