August 2024 SMF UN-Challenge: Seasons!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Welcome to the SMF August 2024 Un-Challenge!

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create soap inspired by one of the seasons: Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall. Portray any season you'd like through the soap's design, color, scent, size, shape, soap method/medium (CP, HP, M&P, soap dough), embeds, mica lines, stamps, etc.

Maybe you will use this opportunity to try a new technique, or to create gift soaps for an upcoming holiday, or simply as an excuse to make soap... it's all good! Un-Challenges are meant to be relaxed and fun, so the rules are minimal:

1. Any SMF member may participate in this Un-Challenge, regardless of length of membership or number of posts.

2.The soap must be made after the Un-Challenge announcement is posted (so do not post pictures of soaps that were made before August 1, 2024).

3. There will not be any sign-up list, separate entry thread, or vote.

4. Post pictures of your creations in this thread at any time throughout the month for our mutual enjoyment.

5. If your design is inspired by another maker, please give credit to that maker.

6. Make and post pictures of as many soaps as you would like. Photos of failures are just as welcome as photos of successes.

7. Experiments are always interesting. Share what you learned, or what process you used - we love learning with you!

8. As always, please keep comments kind and have fun!

Here are some inspiration photos to help get your creative juices flowing. These were pulled from IG, YT, and right here on SMF from some of our members.

WINTER AND FALL SOAPS:

Winter and Fall Soaps.png

SPRING AND SUMMER SOAPS:

Spring and Summer Soaps.png

Last edited:
I hope this isn't too plain and lame to post here. I got about 150 pounds of grass fed beef tallow from the butcher at no cost to me, so I decided to make fall harvest (butcher season) themed soap with 60% tallow and 60%(ish) fresh goat milk while learning to do pencil lines with cocoa powder. (And yes, the butcher will be getting some free soap!) I also added 1 tsp of sugar, a new-to-me ingredient, to my 16 oz of batch oils, as well as 2 tsp of "colloidal" oats in the form of baby food oatmeal. I used a 30% lye concentration in hopes of keeping the batter fluid. I want to see if it's possible to use a tallow-heavy recipe with multiple colors and more intricate design techniques. It worked out really well, but stiffened up at the end when I added matcha powder to 1/4 cup of leftover batter to try and make an embed for a different project. The last little bit got glopped into a round cavity mold and smashed down with a spoon. Plus, it turned a really ugly brownish greenish color. Learning keeps happening!

For this soap I kept it very basic with no colorants. I plan to keep using this recipe to make multiple small batches and making slight changes by adding colors, different essential oil blends, maybe change the shape and/or number of the pencil lines and/or change the lye concentration to achieve a longer work time. I am not displeased with this batch, but I think it'll look nicer with some colors and more interest in the pencil lines.

Attachments

• 20240805_203546.jpg
    20240805_203546.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Not lame at ALL, @ackosel! I love simple soap designs like this, and the colors you chose are perfect for fall! And the recipe sounds great, too. Awesome!

Did you pre-dissolve the sugar in some of your batch water? I wasn’t sure from what you wrote. I’ve heard of people melting it in the warm oils, but I’ve never had success with that, so if that’s what you did, I’m curious to hear how it goes for you.

Not lame at ALL, @ackosel! I love simple soap designs like this, and the colors you chose are perfect for fall! And the recipe sounds great, too. Awesome!

Did you pre-dissolve the sugar in some of your batch water? I wasn’t sure from what you wrote. I’ve heard of people melting it in the warm oils, but I’ve never had success with that, so if that’s what you did, I’m curious to hear how it goes for you.
Thank you, AliOop. You are always so kind and encouraging!

I just re-read what I wrote and you're right, that was misleading about how I added the sugar. I pre-dissolved the sugar in the water before adding lye. I was trying to figure out how to use as little water and as much milk as possible, but decided to just use an equal (slightly more, actually) amount of sugar water and lye, and put the balance of the liquid in the oils as cold milk. So much easier.

Also, I forgot to mention that this soap gelled, and I cut it only 7 hours after I made it! It was still warm to the touch when I cut it, and I'm really glad I didn't wait any longer. It's already rock hard before it is 24 hours old!

Thank you, AliOop. You are always so kind and encouraging!

I just re-read what I wrote and you're right, that was misleading about how I added the sugar. I pre-dissolved the sugar in the water before adding lye. I was trying to figure out how to use as little water and as much milk as possible, but decided to just use an equal (slightly more, actually) amount of sugar water and lye, and put the balance of the liquid in the oils as cold milk. So much easier.

Also, I forgot to mention that this soap gelled, and I cut it only 7 hours after I made it! It was still warm to the touch when I cut it, and I'm really glad I didn't wait any longer. It's already rock hard before it is 24 hours old!
Sounds amazing! You've set the bar high for the opening post.

Can't wait to see what everyone else is working on, as well. :)

Fall is Football Season, and preseason (American) football has started. I purchased some embed paper from WSP after seeing it discussed here. I learned a lot making these. The clear base temperature matters - if it’s not hot enough then it’s not as clear in the final soap. My house is SF 49ers fans, but I also made Raiders for my hairdresser, and Cowboys for my brothers. The clear and white layers are unscented and the color layer is scented with BB Driftwood and Amber.
Here are my Fall Football soaps.
IMG_2925.jpeg

Wow those are neat soaps I love them. Nice work 🥰. @ackosel and @dmcgee5034 . I'm really missing out on these soap challenge's we're still renovating and falling behind schedule, we should have been done by now but hopefully we will be done by next month. Can't wait to see more soap this month! Have fun everyone.😊

Fall is Football Season, and preseason (American) football has started. I purchased some embed paper from WSP after seeing it discussed here. I learned a lot making these. The clear base temperature matters - if it’s not hot enough then it’s not as clear in the final soap. My house is SF 49ers fans, but I also made Raiders for my hairdresser, and Cowboys for my brothers. The clear and white layers are unscented and the color layer is scented with BB Driftwood and Amber.
View attachment 78529
These are amazing! First time seeing this technique and your execution of it is superb! Bravo!

View attachment 78529
These turned out super cool, @dmcgee5034. What a creative idea to use the embed papers, and under clear M&P no less. Users can enjoy their team logo a bit longer that way. Well done!!

After not making soap in months and inspired by this challenge I made some Summer themed soaps over the weekend.

I tested a new high lard recipe and scented the soap in a Winter Solice scent (an ode to a second season).

For the bottom layer I used a bronze mica and black African soap crumbs as a confetti to add texture to that layer. The sea layer is flash blue mica with some uncoloured soap for an attempt at an in the pot swirl. The batter began to thicken so some of it is in the in the pot swirl attempt and some is the flash blue just plopped in the mold. The sky layer is a confetti layer. This has white, blue and pink soap confetti which reminded me of sand with pink broken seashells and blue glass. This then leads into the top decorations which includes golden melt and pour shells, black african soap crumbles and pink himalayan salt. I think the thickened soap batter adds to the illusion of a sandy beach.

20240810_140347.jpg
20240811_140847.jpg
20240811_140740.jpg
20240811_141209.jpg
20240810_134707.jpg
IMG-20240809-WA0051.jpeg

Attachments

• 20240810_134707.jpg
    20240810_134707.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20240809-WA0051.jpeg
    IMG-20240809-WA0051.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I hope this isn't too plain and lame to post here. I got about 150 pounds of grass fed beef tallow from the butcher at no cost to me, so I decided to make fall harvest (butcher season) themed soap with 60% tallow and 60%(ish) fresh goat milk while learning to do pencil lines with cocoa powder. (And yes, the butcher will be getting some free soap!) I also added 1 tsp of sugar, a new-to-me ingredient, to my 16 oz of batch oils, as well as 2 tsp of "colloidal" oats in the form of baby food oatmeal. I used a 30% lye concentration in hopes of keeping the batter fluid. I want to see if it's possible to use a tallow-heavy recipe with multiple colors and more intricate design techniques. It worked out really well, but stiffened up at the end when I added matcha powder to 1/4 cup of leftover batter to try and make an embed for a different project. The last little bit got glopped into a round cavity mold and smashed down with a spoon. Plus, it turned a really ugly brownish greenish color. Learning keeps happening!

For this soap I kept it very basic with no colorants. I plan to keep using this recipe to make multiple small batches and making slight changes by adding colors, different essential oil blends, maybe change the shape and/or number of the pencil lines and/or change the lye concentration to achieve a longer work time. I am not displeased with this batch, but I think it'll look nicer with some colors and more interest in the pencil lines.
I bet it's very luxurious on the skin. If the middle was darker, it could be "Charlie Brown's Shirt". Peanuts themed soap....GO!

After not making soap in months and inspired by this challenge I made some Summer themed soaps over the weekend.

I tested a new high lard recipe and scented the soap in a Winter Solice scent (an ode to a second season).

For the bottom layer I used a bronze mica and black African soap crumbs as a confetti to add texture to that layer. The sea layer is flash blue mica with some uncoloured soap for an attempt at an in the pot swirl. The batter began to thicken so some of it is in the in the pot swirl attempt and some is the flash blue just plopped in the mold. The sky layer is a confetti layer. This has white, blue and pink soap confetti which reminded me of sand with pink broken seashells and blue glass. This then leads into the top decorations which includes golden melt and pour shells, black african soap crumbles and pink himalayan salt. I think the thickened soap batter adds to the illusion of a sandy beach.

View attachment 78558View attachment 78559View attachment 78560View attachment 78561View attachment 78563View attachment 78565
Very cool!

oh, don't mind if I do.

1724342040216.png

Very simple soap inspired by fall's Harvest Moon. The scent is a typical fall scent with spice notes, so it was a fast mover. I opted for layers, a gold mica line, and a cane embed to avoid any acceleration headaches.

A silly aside but I bought a tub of ricotta from Aldi and the tub is the PERFECT diameter to fit my stick blender head in. It was so nice being able to make a microscopic batch of soap for the moon with no leftovers.

harvest moon.png

This is also a cold process remake of a melt & pour soap I did in 2022! It's always fun to see what the pros and cons are of each medium when recreating soaps. Since I didn't have to worry about acceleration, the MP soap could be made with a gradient. But my moon doesn't get to have a swirl in it! The MP soap takes all day, while the CP soap could be made in a half hour.

Back