Additives

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been using soap Calc but have never used additives . I see that people are saying put additives in your calculations however I only see the additives at the bottom as a note basically. So if you are using the additives as a percent of oils and putting it in the lye water what other calculations are needed. Things can be confusing one says this and one says that. I am a new soapy. Thanks guys !

I use soapmaking friend and it has a place to include additives from a list (as well as custom additives you create). You can click the dropdown to decide whether to include it as a percent of oils, percent of water, or percent of batch weight. You can select master-batched lye or dual lye. There is even a box to check that will calculate the extra lye or the liquid discount, as applicable for things like citric acid, vinegar, water replacements, etc.

All that to say, I find it worth the annual subscription fee, because I use a lot of those features. I don't use their inventory/batch feature, although I should. Maybe someday. :)

Another SMF user here. Last when I used the free version it let you save 2 recipes, earlier it was only 1. The yearly sub was a gift from a friend - and it was with a sweet discount ‐ so to me, it was worth it

It was 5, then they whittled it down to one free one and now it's bumped up to 2.

As a hobby soaper, I don't use enough features to warrant the cost. I print my recipes and keep notes on them. If I want to experiment, I edit an existing recipe and print it out. That way, I don't lose the original recipe while experimenting. As you go along, you'll learn wether you need the other features.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241002-062508.png
    Screenshot_20241002-062508.png
    255.6 KB
Was it very different back then? Or did it have more or less the same features it has now?
They have added a lot of features over time. For instance, I asked them to add the ability to select "percent of water" for the additive section, and they did. That helps for things like soleseif bars, or making Zany's No-Slime Castile (so you don't have to make a separate batch of the faux sea water).

The mods are fairly responsive over there if you post something on their forum, which is separate from this one.

Latest posts

Back