Please tell me about salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could that 'oily' feeling be due to the high SF?...

That was the conclusion I came to over time as I tested the salt bar batch I made. Not enough fat to feel greasy or oily on the skin, but enough that it felt sticky after I toweled off. This skin-feel was different than soap scum stickiness.

@CecileBC -- the others are giving good advice -- don't get impatient; let this type of soap have a good, long cure. The batch I made was quite harsh for many months. It took at least a year of curing for the soap to be mild enough for me.

That was the conclusion I came to over time as I tested the salt bar batch I made. Not enough fat to feel greasy or oily on the skin, but enough that it felt sticky after I toweled off. This skin-feel was different than soap scum stickiness.

@CecileBC -- the others are giving good advice -- don't get impatient; let this type of soap have a good, long cure. The batch I made was quite harsh for many months. It took at least a year of curing for the soap to be mild enough for me.
Thank you @DeeAnna . I will do so and practise my "zen attitude" - or hide the soap !

I have been making a soleseife bar for many years.

You can use any cp recipe you like. Add salt at 25% of the water weight in the lye water, let it dissolve and then add the lye. The heat from the lye will dissolve any left over salt. I cool the lye water to room temp as I soap at room temp with SF 7% and zero coconut in my recipe. Easiest soap to make ever. Polishes your skin and has a glorious creamy lather. I use sea salt from our ocean here in Australia. Even my plant colors have no issue with soleseife. It has been my experience that salt will retain plant colors longer than a recipe that doesn't have it so my indigo/woad salt bar stays blue for well over a year.

You can use any cp recipe you like. Add salt at 25% of the water weight in the lye water, let it dissolve and then add the lye. The heat from the lye will dissolve any left over salt. I cool the lye water to room temp as I soap at room temp with SF 7% and zero coconut in my recipe. Easiest soap to make ever. Polishes your skin and has a glorious creamy lather. I use sea salt from our ocean here in Australia. Even my plant colors have no issue with soleseife. It has been my experience that salt will retain plant colors longer than a recipe that doesn't have it so my indigo/woad salt bar stays blue for well over a year.
Thanks for this. If you don't have any coconut oil in your recipe, do you add something for bubbles? I thought coconut is the only oil that will lather when using salt.

Latest posts

Back