Yikes!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehouse

Reaction score
I am in the middle of making soap and my thermometer rolled off the counter and broke!! I have had nightmares about this happening! Guess I will finish by touching the outside of the pans and wing it. Last time I checked the lye was 120 degrees and the oils were around 115 degrees. I usually soap at around 95-100. Hope I get this right!!! Wish me luck!

Sorry about your thermometer. I go by touch. If the soap pot and the lye pitcher is warm to the touch, I know I'm good to go.

Looks like it came together o.k.! Whew!! I am definitely getting SS!! I have had this glass one for 3 years, guess I'm lucky it didn't happen sooner.

What's the danger of not matching temps of your oils and lye? I used to be very exacting about this, until one day I just wasn't. I too use the "touch" method, if anything at all. Sometimes I work near-room temp oil, especially if it's a castile, and very warm lye and it doesn't seem to make a lick of difference in the final product...

Sorry I'm hijacking the thread!

I go by touch,, too. I'm too uncoordinated to do thermometers, a spatula,and a stick blender and the last two I can't dispense with.

When I first started soaping I mixed with lye water at 135 (not knowing any better) and it didn't seem to cause any problems at all. I am still very impatient having to wait for temperatures to drop between 90-110.

When I bother to take temps at all, I use DH's laser thermometer - point it at lye or oils and instant readout. As long as the lye and oils are somewhere between 95-115, I'm good to go.

judymoody said:
When I bother to take temps at all, I use DH's laser thermometer - point it at lye or oils and instant readout. As long as the lye and oils are somewhere between 95-115, I'm good to go.

I use this also. Got it on amazon for $15.

Back