What's your favorite milk to soap with?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelleyaynn

Reaction score
I've made some goat's milk soap, and some soaps made with cream that I wasn't so thrilled with. I just made a salt bar with coconut milk, though I won't be able to test that for a few months yet. So my question is, what type of milk is your favorite to use in soap, and why? I'm also interested in which ones you DON"T like, and why.

As for me, the goat's milk was just blah, and both cream soaps smelled spoiled. I think I may like the coconut milk soap - it smells fine, though it's a salt bar, so I'm not sure I'll be able to tell what the coconut milk has added. I've never made a salt bar before.

Well, I hate powdered milk.

I have never tried goats milk personally, but my friend, whom I exchange soaps with on ocassion only uses goats milk and her soaps are nice. I don't use it cuz I think it is just to much of a pain to get it fresh, and I like other milks.

I love fresh raw cows cream. The organic farmer I get it from has lovely rich creamy milk. I do find an unscented soap smells a bit like sour milk. But I don't notice any "off" smell in a scented soap.

I like Coconut milk.

I really like buttermilk.

I think milks add to the "creamy" feel of the lather.

For reasons that I have not been able to determine, some of my recipes just don't do well with milk used as the liquid. No clue as to why that would be. The opposite is also true, a recipe that is good with milk can be just mediocre when made with water. (only tested that premise once) But I would say that if you are not happy with your recipe made with milk, you may want to try another recipe if you want to do a milk soap.

In order:
Butter milk
Raw cows milk
Coconut milk
(goat is next on my list to try).

Although I do have to say milk soap isn't really my thing. I don't dislike the soap but I prefer a much bubblier rather than creamy sort of lather. I make milk soap for others but for me I like water, aloe, and other liquids over milk.

I've only tried Goats Milk, but love how creamy it came out. I SF at 10%.
Will try coconut next.

falldowngobump said:
My husbands favorite is goats milk---I LOVE using coconut milk--it makes the lather so silky.

Hmm... I have some coconut milk left over from making my salt bars that is frozen and ready to go. Perhaps I should try it in a test batch....

Latest posts

Back