What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought The Natural Soapmaking handbook by Simi Khabra. It is a nice read. Simi owns the Muddy Mint. She is down to earth and simple, that is what I like about her. I bought her book on Amazon for about 25$ and got it the same day! Simi discusses the cure time controversy. Cure time is unique to every bar of soap. Just after you cut your soap, weigh a bar, and write it down. The second week, weigh the bar and write it down, the third week, weigh the bar and write it down. The fourth week, weigh the bar every day, writing down the weight. When the weight no longer declines this means the water has mostly evaporated. However, it will still continue to cure. The lye water ratio you use and where you live also impacts your cure time. She uses a 50/50 lye water ratio. ***That is the soapy-thing-I-did-yesterday*** So next time I make soap, I am going to do the weight measuring and note taking. (This could be a great science fair project for a high school kid.) 🧠✍️

I made these bars following the process laid out in this video. I love this design and it's a really easy technique. It's basically a Taiwan swirl without the final swirling step and then you cut it differently to reveal the magic.
IMG_20240530_063950__01.jpg

I tested ph and zap test. was negative on both. I told her to wait a week or two to use them though. What I've read, with HP, the curing is for hardness of the soap....????
HP takes longer to cure just due to the higher amount of water used. There’s really no point in doing a pH test and the zap test only tells you if there is excess lye. Curing isn’t just about water evaporation. The longer you cure a soap the milder it may become as well. I’ve noticed that with my own soap.

HP takes longer to cure just due to the higher amount of water used. There’s really no point in doing a pH test and the zap test only tells you if there is excess lye. Curing isn’t just about water evaporation. The longer you cure a soap the milder it may become as well. I’ve noticed that with my own soap.
The longer it cures, the *definitely * milder it becomes. Especially the first month or two.

I bought The Natural Soapmaking handbook by Simi Khabra. It is a nice read. Simi owns the Muddy Mint. She is down to earth and simple, that is what I like about her. I bought her book on Amazon for about 25$ and got it the same day! Simi discusses the cure time controversy. Cure time is unique to every bar of soap. Just after you cut your soap, weigh a bar, and write it down. The second week, weigh the bar and write it down, the third week, weigh the bar and write it down. The fourth week, weigh the bar every day, writing down the weight. When the weight no longer declines this means the water has mostly evaporated. However, it will still continue to cure. The lye water ratio you use and where you live also impacts your cure time. She uses a 50/50 lye water ratio. ***That is the soapy-thing-I-did-yesterday*** So next time I make soap, I am going to do the weight measuring and note taking. (This could be a great science fair project for a high school kid.) 🧠✍️

I got her book too, it's quite lovely! To clarify though, she masterbatches a 50/50 lye solution, and when she makes soap with it she adds more liquid. It looked like most of her recipes hovered around 1.8:1 to 2:1 in the end.

I learned several important things today. I got it through my thick head to stick to one recipe. I don’t need 8+ ingredients to make a nice soap. I sure can’t tell the difference! Titanium dioxide accelerates trace and needs more water than I used. Even if the batter gets too thick during your planned pour it’s ok. It still comes out pretty. Glycerin rivers can look super cool!!!! 6 weeks isn’t as long as it sounds if you make enough new batches to get excited to try. Wax paper does not work to line a cardboard box mold. Work interferes with my desire to soap You Tube videos rock! I’m more creative than I thought I was. I constantly laugh at myself, shrug my shoulders and quote @KiwiMoose soap do what soaps gonna do. I really love soaping,

I just cut 3 different batches this morning. The first one is my first attempt at a Luna swirl. The second one is my second attempt that went wrong, but it’s my favorite one so far. The third one is a coffee soap. Holy cow it smelled like a cheap cigar shop!!! I forgot to add the ground coffee, I was in a hurry to escape the stink!

Attachments

• IMG_0531.jpeg
    IMG_0531.jpeg
    3.3 MB
  • IMG_0529.jpeg
    IMG_0529.jpeg
    487.5 KB
  • IMG_0532.jpeg
    IMG_0532.jpeg
    2.8 MB
I wanted to do the hanger swirls challenge in May, but it was a busy month and I didn't have time. I finally had time to soap on Thursday! I did a hanger swirl, which I'm still not great at, but at least if I keep trying I'll get there. Still, I'm happy with it! Also, the Green Tea and Cucumber fragrance is way more perfumy than I wanted at 6% of recipe. Hoping it softens while curing. I used a previous favorite No Slime Castile soap recipe.

Edited to add: today I beveled the edges. New photo attached.
Edited again: I used the scraps to shower with and I'm super happy! Lovely bubbles, and I really get Green Tea Cucumber! Much less perfumy. Way to go, Brambleberry!
IMG_6881.jpeg

Attachments

• CucumberGreenTea1.jpg
    CucumberGreenTea1.jpg
    1.3 MB
  • CucumberGreenTea2.jpg
    CucumberGreenTea2.jpg
    2 MB
  • CucumberGreenTea3.jpg
    CucumberGreenTea3.jpg
    2.3 MB
Last edited: