What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6E43E909-AA7D-45AB-A340-B71D6AF7F063.jpeg
Turned out my Pink Grapefruit and Sea Salt soap from its moulds. It smells very fresh and fruity- the pink grapefruit EO and May Chang make it so.

Oooh those colors are pretty! And good job on the swirl too @Chris_S! I hope your soaping session eased your mind a bit?

I've been eyeing that mold but I don't wanna end up with loads of em coz I'm eyeing some others as well lol

Not really iv been sleeping terrible recently and my docs just upped one my meds which are knocking me out but also giving me headaches. Its only going to the dentists which im fine with but the dentist is right next to the shop i was working in that iv now been off sick from for about a year and a half because of my worsening of my depression and anxiety, infact i would likely end up arrested on assault charges if i ever come face to face with the shop manager, so it distracted me nicely while i was making the soap but felt stressed again once id finished.

That individual pink flower thingy mold only cost like 2 pounds on amazon and I wasnt even making soap at that point and it got used once for wax melts realised they were too big and it got left to gather dust so I am just happy i found a use for it. I did over fill it and tried putting kitchen towel then a towel over but it stuck to the paper cant see it being as good and easy to work with if using hp

I used fiery red, purple heart and golden mica powders. @Dawni that was my first ever proper attempt at swirls. have you seen a method where you pour the batter into an upturned glass think a wider mold would be better for that but thats how i made the swirls then it went wrong when i couldnt grip the glass because i forgot one the steps of the method was to clean off the batter from the glasses before picking them up.

View attachment 33659 View attachment 33660 I accidentally put the amount of total batch where the weight for ounces was supposed to go so I made a 50 oz loaf with wss rosemary mint fo and a smaller slab of wss grapefruit and orange blossom fo. I think they will end up being mini bars since there was only 26 oz of batter after the loaf pan. Somehow I managed to turn out both with different colors and techniques. The heart embeds I had on hand. I overdid the gold mica on the hearts one
Beautiful soap. I love the dark greens and purples. So pretty :)

View attachment 33663 Turned out my Pink Grapefruit and Sea Salt soap from its moulds. It smells very fresh and fruity- the pink grapefruit EO and May Chang make it so.
Pretty color and I bet they smell fantastic! :)

I made spearmint eucalyptus scented soap for dh this weekend. I added powdered goat's milk and am excitedly awaiting the cure to be over so I can see if it has added more creaminess to my usual soap recipe. I've been wanting to make goat's milk soap forever!!! :)

View attachment 33605
Thanks! Hubby wants me to make him some so I guess I’m going to need to learn hot process.

I unmolded some bastille bars. Made a small batch to see what they are like. I didn’t color them.

70 evoo
20 coconut
5 palm
5 castor

Added sugar, salt, and sl to lye water and tried a 1.5:1 lye water concentration. I wanted to see how they came out colorwise because my evoo is pretty dark. They turned out a lot lighter than I thought and make a pretty butter yellow. I’m planning to wait 3 months before trying.
The color is lovely. I have those molds, too--they make the prettiest soaps and lotion bars. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful soap. I love the dark greens and purples. So pretty :)

Pretty color and I bet they smell fantastic! :)

I made spearmint eucalyptus scented soap for dh this weekend. I added powdered goat's milk and am excitedly awaiting the cure to be over so I can see if it has added more creaminess to my usual soap recipe. I've been wanting to make goat's milk soap forever!!! :)

The color is lovely. I have those molds, too--they make the prettiest soaps and lotion bars. :)

what ratio of the essential oils did you use of each or is it a pre mixed thing? i love spearmint and eucalyptus and have both in my collection but been trying to get my head round combining them

@Carolyne Thrasher, I look forward to cut pics.. So pretty colors!

@Terri E, are those made with polymer clay? I love them! I'm now wishing I can afford soaping and clay as hobbies at the same time lol

@KiwiMoose, those are nice! Look so smooth and the scent sounds lovely.

@JanelleTrebuna, let us know how your soap turns out.. I actually love those two scents! Anytime I see a recipe with peppermint I switch it with spearmint

@Chris_S, I agree individual molds are tricky when you HP but I enjoy (trying) making the soap submit to me bahaha.. And yes, I've seen that swirl technique but forge right now what it's called.. Column pour? I think yes, I have seen them mostly with slab molds but if you made it work then good, yes? Don't forget to show us unmolded/cut pics

what ratio of the essential oils did you use of each or is it a pre mixed thing? i love spearmint and eucalyptus and have both in my collection but been trying to get my head round combining them
It was premixed. It smells really good. I'm sorry but I can't remember which company made it. My husband bought it along with some others on a quest for less feminine scents earlier this year. ;)

I'm so excited! I made this soap last night. I used Oat Milk and Honey instead of water for the lye solution. Once it was done cooking I added finely ground oat flour and yogurt. It was a lot of experimenting for one loaf. I've never done milk, honey or yogurt in a soap before! The lather is creamy and it smells a bit like oatmeal cookies!

Attachments

• 20181210_105259.jpg
    20181210_105259.jpg
    107.4 KB
It was premixed. It smells really good. I'm sorry but I can't remember which company made it. My husband bought it along with some others on a quest for less feminine scents earlier this year. ;)

company probably wouldnt of helped anyways im a few thousand miles too far from America i was hoping you had mixed it. Coffee is a nuetral scent could try that too

View attachment 33663 Turned out my Pink Grapefruit and Sea Salt soap from its moulds. It smells very fresh and fruity- the pink grapefruit EO and May Chang make it so.

Sorry they are just too pink ;)

Seems that's always the case. I'm the same.

I was in a second hand store a couple of weeks ago, looking for something I could use as a foaming mug (scuttle??) and found a gorgeous hand made ceramic coffee mug. It has a bit of texture in the bowl and it's nice and big (almost a touch too big) and it works really well.

just a random thought couldnt you use a wooden or ceramic pestle and mortar bowl? You can get some lovely looking bowls in sets and with a shaving brush it would kinda follow the pestle and mortor theme

Sorry they are just too pink ;)

just a random thought couldnt you use a wooden or ceramic pestle and mortar bowl? You can get some lovely looking bowls in sets and with a shaving brush it would kinda follow the pestle and mortor theme

You probably could. I have a mortar and pestle but it's pretty heavy. I hold the mug when I'm creating the foam and I wouldn't be able to do that with the mortar. I certainly wouldn't want it to slip out of my hands.

You probably could. I have a mortar and pestle but it's pretty heavy. I hold the mug when I'm creating the foam and I wouldn't be able to do that with the mortar. I certainly wouldn't want it to slip out of my hands.

Yeah iv a heavy one too but you can get nice decorative wooden ones which i would think would be much lighter weight than the one you have. Pitty really because a granite bowl would look nice in a modern bathroom

Truth be told, I HATE pink. But other people seem to like it. I can hardly do green ‘pink’ grapefruit can I? :p

Well ok maybe ill let you off with that one then i hadnt actually looked at what they were just the actual picture as i went past :rolleyes: Theres a very good chance i was in the same kind mood as i was when i tried to wind @Dawni up when I suggested she wasnt talking about smacking and wiggling a soap box i mean whats a man to think with such comments :oops: my poor innocent mind felt very violated. Its a thing I do from time to time, I grew up with a man (he tells me hes my dad but i do have doubts every now and then) who used to hide his bosses fave coffee mug on a high windowsill so that he would see it while he was doing an assembly (not sure if thats an english thing but its a gathering of the school before classes start lead by the headmaster it was a primary school) in front of the whole school. It was an old victorian school so it had high windows you used a pole to open. He also took the same mug to scotland with him took pictures of it next to a rock pool in st andrews and left the printed photo on his bosses desk on the monday morning with a note saying he was having a wonderful holiday. Just a proper wind up merchant so i think i might have got it from him at some point :D

Oh and i didnt put any orange in my sweet orange scented soap that i posted a picture of last night so neh ;)

Last edited:

@Terri E, are those made with polymer clay? I love them! I'm now wishing I can afford soaping and clay as hobbies at the same time lol

@JanelleTrebuna, let us know how your soap turns out.. I actually love those two scents! Anytime I see a recipe with peppermint I switch it with spearmint

@Chris_S, I agree individual molds are tricky when you HP but I enjoy (trying) making the soap submit to me bahaha.. And yes, I've seen that swirl technique but forge right now what it's called.. Column pour? I think yes, I have seen them mostly with slab molds but if you made it work then good, yes? Don't forget to show us unmolded/cut pics

Not quite sure it worked to plan really as one the glasses fell over when i tried pulling the first one out when the batter was getting too high up but i think i made it work for me despite the mishap. Iv taken it out the mold tonight it felt firm enough to do that but the corners pulled away inside the mold so wasnt as good as id hoped for. but that can be sorted when its got harder i was just too excited to see the results in better detail but im happy now so cutting it can wait so my masterpiece doesnt get ruined any further :)

I made a liquid soap for my kids and gave the farmer the soap he asked me to make for him w/ seabuckthorn and calendula, no scent. he was happy. It is 5.5 weeks old but he thought that was cured enough.

Made salt bars with moor mud, blue spruce bars and goldfish soap!

Salt Bars.jpg
Goldfish.jpg

Those are so lovely, Terri! I'm sure that your recipients will love them!

Thank you Loralei :)

Hi Dawni,
Yes it is polymer clay and I am just learning about it! So much fun :)

I dropped off 42 bars of soap at Cibaria Soap Supply as a donation for their Christmas Party. Worst part was the 100 mile round trip, since I waited to late to get a shipping label from the owner. Oh well, hubby and I made a full day out of the trip so it was okay

Keep us posted on this recipe, KiwiMoose. These are beautiful and I'm curious about your colorants, it's so white. I want to try your scent blend. My son recently told me to combine bergamot and may chang which I never would have thought of on my own, and it's great.

!
These are the only soaps I’ve made that have ever had soda ash. I wonder if it was the fresh lemon juice? Luckily it’s not bad, and also the colour of the soap means you don’t really notice it anyway.

These are the only soaps I’ve made that have ever had soda ash. I wonder if it was the fresh lemon juice? Luckily it’s not bad, and also the colour of the soap means you don’t really notice it anyway.
@KiwiMoose , after pouring my cold process soap into molds, I spray with rubbing alcohol, then cover with plastic wrap, (and cardboard and towels) and don't get soda ash.

Back