What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. Cleaning up because the Mother-In-Law is coming to stay. She will be doing her not so subtle inspection. Kill. Me. Now.
Oh I am so sorry...
My mother in law died at a very young age so it wasn't ever an issue but my best friend is going through this right now...she comes over to vent, cry and sometimes she spends the night so that she isn't arrested for elder abuse or murder...lol.
I feel the worst for her poor husband, who is torn between the two women he loves most...

Decided to try my hand at a pencil line today. Used a dark but bright blue, a lighter blue and white, penciled with gold mica. I forgot to spray with ETOH...hope that isn't a deal killer. I wanted the soap at medium trace for bulky irregular lines...it got a little thicker than I wanted and I'm hoping there aren't a lot of air bubbles. Used EOs, lavender and ylang ylang 3:1 smells like fruit loops meets Eliza Dolittle...we'll see once it cures...I don't hate it right now just not sure about it. Oh and I tried adding sugar to my lye...it formed a crust that floated on the top, I ended up straining it out. What did I do wrong?

Can't help with the sugar in the lye. I haven't got that far yet. I do really really good to remember to spray with the rubbing alcohol when needed (EOTH). That being said, you should be okay if your line was pretty thin. Or hopefully! When I did my last (first) mica line my batter was a touch thicker than I wanted because I was aiming at an even pour (one day!) but lo and behold guess who forgot to spray her soap for her mica line? Memememeee. I was sweating it pretty bad. Although now I don't really feel like you can even see the dern line. I have pics posted of it somewhere around here.

Chamomile Almond Face soap by Ev Skae, on Flickr

I made this yesterday, before going to work. This morning, once Sleeping Beauty (aka my 12 y.o. granddaughter) wakes up and has breakfast, we'll cut it in to bars. It's from Anne Watson's recipe, Almond Facial Soap, scented with chamomile and coloured pink and purple, her Highness' fave two colours. I might even sprinkle some opalescent glitter on the top as it's still a bit sticky (the top, not the soap).

That being said, you should be okay if your line was pretty thin.
Well, I think it was thin enough but being my first time...who knows? If it's a bust I can always grate it up and use for confetti...betcha that would be really pretty.

This month we celebrate my two sister in laws birthday and my niece's (by marriage)birthday. So, it has been gift making mode for me. Yesterday I made an mp layered soap...green, lavender and white, with lavender eo and rosemary eo, alternating the scents with the different layers. Today I am handcrafting some shower gel to coordinate, and if someone responds to my other post for help with a knock off of poo pourri, I will be making some of that as well.... If I am inspired, I will make some lavender/rosemary cp....just so I can smell it throughout my house all day....:clap:

I am trying to cut some soap curls off a small melt and pour bar I made. Although the babies are acting like they haven't had any love in 5 years. Every time I set the peeler on to the soap, Frodo head butts my hand and purrs. Liberty insists on peeking by putting her sweet little polydactyl paws on my left side of my lap, raring up and then 'patting' my leg and chirping (she never meows). Solomon just rares up on the right side, tries to jump up in my lap because he thinks he is a chihuahua and not a pit bull, knocking the whole conglomeration over sideways. Sigh.

rparrny - I messed up with the sugar too because you have to add it to the water *BEFORE* you add your lye and stir the heck out of it until it dissolves. I did it right once, second time wrong and had to fish the sugar blob out of the hot lye which I DO NOT recommend. So, it goes water...SUGAR...then lye :).

Made a 1lb test batch of an oatmeal and honey version of my current recipe....did not expect it to turn bright orange! I thought milk turned bright orange not honey....keeping an eye on it but it doesn't seem to be heating (no milk in my recipe). Started to unmold my 100% coconut bars but they are sticking a tad to the silicone mold so I'll try again late tonight.

Received 5 more samples from Aztec, some of them are yummy out of bottle and I hope they dont morph (but I bet they do). Will test this week.

Made a sample batch of Rustic Escentual's Tuscan Fields FO using Isg's tallow recipe that she posted in one of the recent tallow threads. All behaved very nicely.

IrishLass :)

it's a low humidity day here so I got my *** in gear and packaged all my botanicals away...bulky ones like the comfrey and the mugwort went through the food processor..the comfrey made a nice powder while the mugwort resembles wool...here's the list:
comfrey leaf
mugwort leaf
red amaranth leaf
red shiso or perilla
purple basil
thyme
tansy..leaf and flowers
there's some huge plantain in the lawn looking post Chernobyl...that's last on my list...maybe I'll dig it up later...

Today I plan to make a rosemary extract. I don't drink alcohol, nor do I ever buy alcohol myself, but last night I bought a cheap bottle of 40 proof vodka ($5) and felt incredibly awkward doing so. I usually hit my husband up for that when needed. I got a request from an impressively bearded friend for beard pomade....mmmm, a nice eucalyptus/tea tree/ lavender EO with Chamomile infused oils and beeswax come to mind for a fresh smelling, soothing hairy face-beast.

Made it today, :) scented with lemongrass and green tea from Candora, beautiful fragrance and not acceleration no discoloration

DSCN4548_006.jpg

DSCN4543_001.jpg

DSCN4547_005.jpg

Tried a new FO (WSP's "Love Spell" dupe) and I LOVE the scent! Very peach & orangey, and supposedly there's cherry blossom and white jasmine in there too. I can't smell floral notes, so I'm just happy with the fruity scent I do smell. For this soap I tried a spoon swirl, we'll see how that turns out when I cut it in 12ish hours.

Also, I went to the local Smart & Final and they sell 50 lbs of lard or beef tallow shortening! I really wanted the lard because it was cheaper by $10 but they were all out. I"ll have to return in a few weeks and see if it's in stock again =)

Well my pencil line was definitely not too thick...unfortunately you can barely see it. Not thrilled with the flow of the lines but that would be the fault of my trace setting so fast, I wanted something with more fluid lines...
I'm okay with the colors but I think I could do better...I like the darker blue but it doesn't quite mesh with the lighter blue even though it's the same mica in the white TD. Some air bubbles but not too many, again too thick a trace. The scent is growing on me and I think it will mellow a bit more yet. Not sure if I consider this gift giving quality but it was fun to try it out.

002.jpg

Now see, I really *like* the jaggedness of the lines, it makes the soap look like kind of a cool mountainscape. Part of the top looks kind of translucent, did you use MP? Very pretty all round.
No this was CP with white TD. For a first attempt I'm happy with it, just not what I thought it would be...but then again what is...
Thank you for the compliment

Okay, maybe I'll give to the people I don't like that much :lolno:

LOL That reminds me of a friend who asked once if she could have the greeting cards I threw away because even the things I didn't think were good enough were completely beyond her capabilities. I said no... garbage was garbage.

Honestly, I think those soaps are beautiful. I'd be more than happy to receive a soap like that. I think it would live on permanent display in my bathroom and heaven help anyone who dared to use it! (I am not usually given to such displays of appreciation, btw.)

(I am not usually given to such displays of appreciation, btw.)
Well then I will take that as the huge compliment it was meant as and I will consider giving to people I actually like....
Dying to start stamping it with gold mica, but I told myself I can't play until I clean up the baby meltdown my grandson made yesterday...

Back