What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Blue1969 and @Shelley D if you both wouldn’t mind sharing a recipe i would
Really appreciate it. I have been looking up information and of course i read the reviews and i have been getting discouraged. They all say too abrasive for teeth. And i didn’t know that it would not taste good 🤔. I did see a recipe on a website and it looked promising, but then i couldn’t find it again. I am still looking to find it.

Are y'all talking about regular turmeric powder, like from the spice rack ~ or do you need something special for soap?
just regular turmeric powder - nothing special until it hits the lye and then it goes red and all the way through the shades of red, orange and yellow depending on how much you use. Plant Magic - my favorite part.

I think it's a soapless thing I have done today is run out of my main dish soap I've been using for a few months now, soon will be time to start making a few more batches

Ooo! There's an idea @KimLynn doing a girl's camo soap in girlie camo colors! I have a friend who makes purses and she did a custom pink camo purse for a girl who said she wanted it "over the top pink camo" 😆 Girls love camo too!
I saw a YouTube video of a pink camo soap. It looked great! I’ve got several jars of red and purple botanical colorants marinating so I’ll definitely do one.

Hi everyone! I’ve been a bit slow with soap this year, but today I cut the most elaborate soaps I’ve ever made!

I made soap dough with one recipe, a sand base with another, and then melt-and pour. With my neighbors help made little figurines, and voila!

IMG_2904.jpeg
IMG_2897.jpeg
IMG_2896.jpeg

@Blue1969 and @Shelley D if you both wouldn’t mind sharing a recipe i would
Really appreciate it. I have been looking up information and of course i read the reviews and i have been getting discouraged. They all say too abrasive for teeth. And i didn’t know that it would not taste good 🤔. I did see a recipe on a website and it looked promising, but then i couldn’t find it again. I am still looking to find it.
My recipe has become a bit of a blend of other people's ideas + trial and error + taste and preference = end result.
My research lead me to Primal Organics Dirty Mouth tooth powder, that I did purchase a trial size and used it to see how I liked it. I wasn't thrilled with the dry powder approach so I took the list of ingredients (charcoal, variety of clays, baking soda, and the EOs ~ peppermint & I add clove also), and I choose not to add any sweetener mostly because I don't add so much EOs that I need to sweeten it, I only add a few drops of each because I make small(ish) batches.
My recipe is roughly equal parts (teaspoons if you want to start small) of:
*Charcoal (I don't remember which kind, but there are technically 3 types and I got the type that is best for oral uses),
*Kaolin clay
*French green clay
*Bentonite clay
*baking soda
*Arrowroot powder (optional, I just added it to my last batch, can't say I've noticed a significant difference 🤷🏼‍♀️)
*EOs (few drops of each, remember this is a small quantity batch, you don't need much)
*Coconut oil (I use raw unrefined, from the grocery store) add just enough to make a paste, whatever consistency you like. I lean towards a thicker consistency because you won't need much, it will spread through your mouth as you brush.
I know some dentists say NO GRIT, but the other side says you need the grit to clean and polish. Do you know why your dentist needs to scrape away tartar buildup when you go in for cleanings? Because commercial toothpaste doesn't have grit in it to clean it off your teeth 😲 Ever since I've been using my mixture, I only have 3 little deep corners (thanks to crooked teeth) that need a pick to reach the tartar 😕
My teeth don't hurt, I don't have hot/cold sensitivities, I don't have any gum issues. My dentist is amazed because I really have a lackadaisical approach to dental care. And I have had no new issues with my teeth since going natural 😁 I'm not making any claims, just saying this is what is working for me ~ and I did have to get used to it ~ and I did a lot of trial and error (in small batches), and I'm still experimenting (for example: the arrowroot; and sometimes additional EOs).
**Other pros: truly neutral breath (no bad breath, no "toothpaste breath"); doesn't give me a funky after taste when I eat or drink something after brushing (you should still wait at least 30 minutes after brushing before you eat or drink).
I apologize for the lengthy response but I tried to touch all the bases 😃 if you still have questions, I will do my best to answer them 😉

My recipe has become a bit of a blend of other people's ideas + trial and error + taste and preference = end result.
My research lead me to Primal Organics Dirty Mouth tooth powder, that I did purchase a trial size and used it to see how I liked it. I wasn't thrilled with the dry powder approach so I took the list of ingredients (charcoal, variety of clays, baking soda, and the EOs ~ peppermint & I add clove also), and I choose not to add any sweetener mostly because I don't add so much EOs that I need to sweeten it, I only add a few drops of each because I make small(ish) batches.
*Charcoal (I don't remember which kind, but there are technically 3 types and I got the type that is best for oral uses),
*Kaolin clay
*French green clay
*Bentonite clay
*baking soda
*Arrowroot powder (optional, I just added it to my last batch, can't say I've noticed a significant difference 🤷🏼‍♀️)
*EOs (few drops of each, remember this is a small quantity batch, you don't need much)
*Coconut oil (I use raw unrefined, from the grocery store) add just enough to make a paste, whatever consistency you like. I lean towards a thicker consistency because you won't need much, it will spread through your mouth as you brush.
I know some dentists say NO GRIT, but the other side says you need the grit to clean and polish. Do you know why your dentist needs to scrape away tartar buildup when you go in for cleanings? Because commercial toothpaste doesn't have grit in it to clean it off your teeth 😲 Ever since I've been using my mixture, I only have 3 little deep corners (thanks to crooked teeth) that need a pick to reach the tartar 😕
My teeth don't hurt, I don't have hot/cold sensitivities, I don't have any gum issues. My dentist is amazed because I really have a lackadaisical approach to dental care. And I have had no new issues with my teeth since going natural 😁 I'm not making any claims, just saying this is what is working for me ~ and I did have to get used to it ~ and I did a lot of trial and error (in small batches), and I'm still experimenting (for example: the arrowroot; and sometimes additional EOs).
**Other pros: truly neutral breath (no bad breath, no "toothpaste breath"); doesn't give me a funky after taste when I eat or drink something after brushing (you should still wait at least 30 minutes after brushing before you eat or drink).
I apologize for the lengthy response but I tried to touch all the bases 😃 if you still have questions, I will do my best to answer them 😉
Thanks so much. I actually found the recipe i was looking at a while ago. Seems i took a snap and it was in all my pics. It’s from Oh The Things We Make:

Attachments

• IMG_5586.png
    IMG_5586.png
    604.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5585.png
    IMG_5585.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
@Shelley D i did see recipes with clay but i wanted a little simpler, which is why i was so frustrated when i couldn’t find the website. My dementia 🙄 cleared the other day and i thought maybe i took a snapshot. Sure enough there it was quite a few pics later. Now it says she was a dentist, and i will take that as it comes, but the recipe looks very interesting. BTW she does have a recipe with clay as well.

@Shelley D i did see recipes with clay but i wanted a little simpler, which is why i was so frustrated when i couldn’t find the website. My dementia 🙄 cleared the other day and i thought maybe i took a snapshot. Sure enough there it was quite a few pics later. Now it says she was a dentist, and i will take that as it comes, but the recipe looks very interesting. BTW she does have a recipe with clay as well.

*Kaolin clay
*French green clay
*Bentonite clay
*baking soda
My experience was very similar, except I use avocado oil to make the paste, rather than coconut oil. That way, it doesn't get rock hard in our cold winters. No matter what oil I use, it does separate a bit between uses, but a quick stir right before adding it to my brush works just fine for me. :)

My experience was very similar, except I use avocado oil to make the paste, rather than coconut oil. That way, it doesn't get rock hard in our cold winters. No matter what oil I use, it does separate a bit between uses, but a quick stir right before adding it to my brush works just fine for me. :)
Interesting ~ I have never tried using a different oil ~ I used coconut for the health benefits (of course), but I never ventured beyond that specific ingredient 🤔🤔

Can't wait for the pictures!
IMG_0252.jpeg

So here are my attempts. The one on the right I added some red mica trying to make the soap look more tomatoie. I took a little bit of the soap and washed my hands with it and the suds are pink, but not excessive. There is some salt but not enough to call it assault soap. I kind of like the one on the right.

Interesting ~ I have never tried using a different oil ~ I used coconut for the health benefits (of course), but I never ventured beyond that specific ingredient 🤔🤔
Any cold-pressed oil is probably fine if it works with your recipe and gives you a texture that you like.

Peppermint and manuka are my go-to EOs. Since clove oil burns my gums even in the tiniest amounts, I use ground clove powder instead. Baking soda is another no-go for me; it makes my teeth sensitive to hot and cold. I haven't tried arrowroot; do you know what benefits it would bring to the party?

Back