What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waaahh! 😢😢 I was so happy to get back to soaping today after about 6 weeks away from it. Finally got a new jug of NaOH and away I went. Maybe my brain was frozen (it’s -34C with the wind chill today 🥶) - but I TOTALLY FORGOT to adjust my lye up to account for the citric acid. Couldn’t figure out why the batter took so long to come to trace - it finally did and I added my four colours to the mold to make a pretty swirl, got it into the oven to CPOP - and my brain
re-engaged. SIGH. I guess I will spend the next few deep freeze days learning how to rebatch a bunch of soap that is missing 10.5 grams of lye.
Oh, my pretty swirls! It’s gonna be ugly…😢😢😢

Waaahh! 😢😢 I was so happy to get back to soaping today after about 6 weeks away from it. Finally got a new jug of NaOH and away I went. Maybe my brain was frozen (it’s -34C with the wind chill today 🥶) - but I TOTALLY FORGOT to adjust my lye up to account for the citric acid. Couldn’t figure out why the batter took so long to come to trace - it finally did and I added my four colours to the mold to make a pretty swirl, got it into the oven to CPOP - and my brain
re-engaged. SIGH. I guess I will spend the next few deep freeze days learning how to rebatch a bunch of soap that is missing 10.5 grams of lye.
Oh, my pretty swirls! It’s gonna be ugly…😢😢😢
How big is your batch/how much lye did you actually use? 10.5g might not be soooooo bad, maybe? I recently forgot to account for the fact I master batch my lye and so when I measured out 140g of solution... that was only 70g of lye when I actually needed the full 140! That poor soft soap lol. I feel your pain!

How big is your batch/how much lye did you actually use? 10.5g might not be soooooo bad, maybe? I recently forgot to account for the fact I master batch my lye and so when I measured out 140g of solution... that was only 70g of lye when I actually needed the full 140! That poor soft soap lol. I feel your pain!
@katili thanks for commiserating with me 🤗! It was 1000g oils and I added 20g citric acid, so the lye should have been increased from 137.24 to 149.74 (I didn't even get the right amount of extra lye in my post above! 🤯). I usually SF AT 3% but this time pushed it up to 4%. I have hard water and find that with a cleansing score of 10 or less, plus CA, and a low SF, i get a mild soap with less soap scum.
I think the SF will be too high but will research a bit tomorrow. My tired old brain’s not worth anything tonight!

One of my resolutions for the new year is to not make soap until I finish organizing my soap room. I made a lot of progress last July, but then got busy with a major reorg of our kitchen cabinets 😂. I’m back to the soap room and getting ever closer, but even with more shelves and a lot of the stuff neatly organized into boxes, it still looks like I’m a hoarder 😂. I should also make a resolution to not buy new (fill in the blank) until I use up a good chunk of what I have. Easier said than done.

So pretty! Great job working discoloration into your design, would you post after-discoloration shots if you remember?
No need for a good memory, here it is just a few days into cure…
Before and after:
IMG_7070.jpegIMG_7085.jpeg

One of my resolutions for the new year is to not make soap until I finish organizing my soap room. I made a lot of progress last July, but then got busy with a major reorg of our kitchen cabinets 😂. I’m back to the soap room and getting ever closer, but even with more shelves and a lot of the stuff neatly organized into boxes, it still looks like I’m a hoarder 😂. I should also make a resolution to not buy new (fill in the blank) until I use up a good chunk of what I have. Easier said than done.
Anyone else read this and immediately think to themselves “hey, I should remind @Mobjack Bay about that WSP sale and the BB has all trial size FOs on sale for $1.99, and that new Rum Punch mica at NS looks soooo pretty”? Anyone, or just me? 😂🤣😂
Great job on getting back to the organizing, don’t let me encourage/enable you - unless you want to 🥰

Anyone else read this and immediately think to themselves “hey, I should remind @Mobjack Bay about that WSP sale and the BB has all trial size FOs on sale for $1.99, and that new Rum Punch mica at NS looks soooo pretty”? Anyone, or just me? 😂🤣😂
Great job on getting back to the organizing, don’t let me encourage/enable you - unless you want to 🥰
@dmcgee5034, I am beginning to think you are an evil person ....

I’ve already had the real struggle with the WSP thread and I’m still cartless 🤣

Oh no, I didn't need to know BB has a trial size sale haha. I wish their sample bottles were bigger, though.

On a similar note, I guess another soapy thing I did today was buy samples of a few of CandleScience's new soap safe scents...

I should also make a resolution to not buy new (fill in the blank) until I use up a good chunk of what I have. Easier said than done.

This is so relatable! 😂

I've now made 10 batches of soap over the course of the past couple of weeks and I've run out of room. I'll either have to organize my soap room or wait until these 10 batches are ready for wrapping (just in time for the first market of the season. The last batch was made on Tuesday, another batch of Dragon Poptail, in a column mold. I've decided I really like making soap in column molds.

Our weather forecast for the next few days is cold, cold, cold...down to -10C (-2F) for the high on Friday. I'm thinking it might be the perfect time to make a batch of OMH soap. It always overheats so if it's that cold out, I can put it outside to chill for a while.

I also ordered a candle making kit from Village Candle just so I could make a very specific candle just for me, using Rose Quartz FO. It arrived yesterday and my candle is now curing along with my soaps. It smells so good!

I’ve already had the real struggle with the WSP thread and I’m still cartless 🤣
Pay no attention to that mean @dmcgee5034 , you know who your friends are! Mrs. Zing calls it "Operation Empty Cupboard," Every January at the grocery store, she buys only staples. She buys no other food until she's used up everything already in the fridge and cupboards. She has a "friend" -- taking a page out of a certain someone's playbook -- who likes to sneak in an esoteric product and hide it in the cupboard. And you've inspired me to tackle my soap shop. It's organized but I do want to purge items I won't use.

Pay no attention to that mean @dmcgee5034 , you know who your friends are! Mrs. Zing calls it "Operation Empty Cupboard," Every January at the grocery store, she buys only staples. She buys no other food until she's used up everything already in the fridge and cupboards. She has a "friend" -- taking a page out of a certain someone's playbook -- who likes to sneak in an esoteric product and hide it in the cupboard. And you've inspired me to tackle my soap shop. It's organized but I do want to purge items I won't use.
I'm attempting something similar with my freezer -- buying nothing more to go in there until I use all frozen foods I've accumulated. But as I've emptied any room in there, DH fills the freezer with more ice cream and creamsicles! I'll never have room for "fresh frozen" food at this rate!

So........I made a vanilla chocolate marbled cake with vanilla chocolate cream cheese frosting. When I was done, I said, well crap, maybe I have been making too much soap....lol
IMG_20240111_141126679~2.jpg
As for soaping stuff, I ordered mad Micas neon Micas. Plus another NG fo order(should hold me until spring). I cannot soap until my sodium Gluconate gets here and that will be the beginning of February. So there it is.

Thanks to WSP and BB sales I bought a lot of fragrance oils. Then went over to indigo fragrances and bought some more. Since I make small batches I generally buy the trial sizes or 1-2 oz bottles. I am able to buy more fragrances due to the small sizes. All of these are completely new to me.

WSP
Balsam & Cedar
Raspberry Lemonade
Coconut Lime Verbena
Lemon Lavender
Lavender & Chamomile BBW type
Island Margarita
Kumquat
Summer Citrus
Rosemary Lemon - JS
Lemon Slices - RE

BB
Tobacco & Bay Leaf
Grapefruit Bellini
Cranberry Cocktail
Orange Peel - only one not trial size
Ginger Ale
Peach Prosseco
Sweet Meyer Lemon
Champagne
Coastal Rain
Yuzu

Indigo
Cherry Lemonade - sample
Satsuma
Calacazz
Iced Wine
Celebration
Green Apple Jolly Rancher - sample
Lemon Lime Soda - sample
Lemonade
Kumquat
Peach Nectar
Avocado and Sea Salt
Raspberry Lemonade - sample

Last edited:
I'm attempting something similar with my freezer -- buying nothing more to go in there until I use all frozen foods I've accumulated. But as I've emptied any room in there, DH fills the freezer with more ice cream and creamsicles! I'll never have room for "fresh frozen" food at this rate!
And the problem is what now?

Thanks to WSP and BB sales I bought a lot of fragrance oils. Then went over to indigo fragrances and bought some more. Since I make small batches I generally buy the trial sizes or 1-2 oz bottles. I use them up pretty fast.

WSP
Balsam & Cedar
Raspberry Lemonade
Coconut Lime Verbena
Lemon Lavender
Lavender & Chamomile BBW type
Island Margarita
Kumquat
Summer Citrus
Rosemary Lemon - JS
Lemon Slices - RE

BB
Tobacco & bay leaf
Grapefruit Bellini
Cranberry Cocktail
Orange Peel - only one not trial size
Ginger ale
Peach prosseco
Sweet Meyer lemon
Champagne
Coastal rain
Yuzu

Indigo
Cherry Lemonade - sample
Satsuma
Calacazz
Iced Wine
Celebration
Green apple jolly rancher - sample
Lemon lime soda - sample
Lemonade
Kumquat
Peach nectar
Avocado and sea salt
Raspberry lemonade - sample
Wow! You are going to have fun!

When I reorganized my pantry/staples, I found coconut flour that expired in 2014 😳. On the soapy side, expect to see me making a lot of soap batches colored with clay and scented with new to me FOs. I’ll never be a minimalist, but clutter makes me feel stressed.

Latest posts

Back