Tussah silk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I add it to my soaps that are not vegan. I think it gives a silkier feel to the lather, but to be honest, I don't know if it makes enough of a noticeable difference to be worth it for most people. I am a soap snob...lol. I notice a lot of things about a soap that most of my customers would probably never notice, so if I left the Tussah out, I don't think it would matter to them. I used to make soap without it, and I thought it felt wonderful too.

Oh how funny! Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing out on a “secret ingredient” my soaps are doin ok. Since I first started they have just gotten simpler and simpler

I add it from time to time and I like the way it feels. Like @missbipbip I don't think the customers care that much. It seems most are after their favorite fragrance. We are in a rush-rush world and it's hard to educate people about soap. I want to educate and not give a sales pitch.

I used to buy cleaned silk cocoons and add them to my masterbatch. I also liked the silky feel it adds. As mentioned above, I only added it to my non-vegan soaps so I always had 2 jugs of masterbatched lye.

I used to add tussah silk all the time (purchased from BB) and decided it was an extra step that was kind of a pain and really didn't make any difference to the finished bar. I find I get that same "silky" feeling adding a little avocado oil and mango butter to my oil mix. It's not expensive however and a little goes a long way so worth experimenting with if you have never tried it.

I added silk from some old kimonos that I had torn apart for a project. I may not be as discerning as others, but I don't see a great deal of difference. I have always felt my lard RBO combination soaps have a soft feel to them anyway, so it's hard to find a diference. Send me a message and a self addressed stamped envelope and I'll send you some of the scraps for you to try. I have plenty left from the project and I just can't make myself toss them out.

I added silk from some old kimonos that I had torn apart for a project. I may not be as discerning as others, but I don't see a great deal of difference. I have always felt my lard RBO combination soaps have a soft feel to them anyway, so it's hard to find a diference. Send me a message and a self addressed stamped envelope and I'll send you some of the scraps for you to try. I have plenty left from the project and I just can't make myself toss them out.
Have you tried adding yarn to soap? Or some nylon raincoat, to make the bar more resistant to water and therefore longlasting?

I used to add tussah silk all the time (purchased from BB) and decided it was an extra step that was kind of a pain and really didn't make any difference to the finished bar. I find I get that same "silky" feeling adding a little avocado oil and mango butter to my oil mix. It's not expensive however and a little goes a long way so worth experimenting with if you have never tried it.

Have you tried adding yarn to soap? Or some nylon raincoat, to make the bar more resistant to water and therefore longlasting?
Ekuzo, one time I added too much palm oil and it felt like rain boots, does that count?

Surely it was something wild. I don’t remember 😅
You really know how to party 🤣

Nope. I watch my numbers for longevity and that seems to work quite well. Along with using low numbers on CO...5-7% other than the ones I make for hubby and grandson.
I went as high as 33% CO once and didn't find it too 'strong' to my liking, but I know a lot of folks hate it and advise against that. Depends on the person's skin, I guess

🤣

I went as high as 33% CO once and didn't find it too 'strong' to my liking, but I know a lot of folks hate it and advise against that. Depends on the person's skin, I guess
You obviously don't have old lady skin. LOL But I started with the Trinity recipe of 1/3 each of CO, OO and PO But coming from commercial soaps they felt like heaven. After finding this forum and learning that I didn't know anything about soaping, I started playing with all the numbers and have found the sweet spots for me, my kids, my grandkids and finallly my hubby. I don't soap as often now that I know what I like and why I like it. Just enough to cure my soaps at a minimum of 6-8 months. My next soaping day will be with my daughter as a refresher course....just in case she has to make soap in the future. LOL

You obviously don't have old lady skin. LOL But I started with the Trinity recipe of 1/3 each of CO, OO and PO But coming from commercial soaps they felt like heaven. After finding this forum and learning that I didn't know anything about soaping, I started playing with all the numbers and have found the sweet spots for me, my kids, my grandkids and finallly my hubby. I don't soap as often now that I know what I like and why I like it. Just enough to cure my soaps at a minimum of 6-8 months. My next soaping day will be with my daughter as a refresher course....just in case she has to make soap in the future. LOL
Exactly! The trinity recipe lol

It makes a pretty good soap actually, it was the first time I made soap and I haven't done the same ever since.

For beginners, it's a good and simple enough start. Once a person gets the hang of it, they can tweak and experiment more to a point they like it, just as you and I did

Where you you get your Tussah silk?
I got mine on Amazon.

Shepherd Textiles Tussah Silk... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RRFLY93?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It has lasted forever!! I don’t really measure it. I just cut about a dime size amount and add it to the lye. My soap batches are about 55 oz. If you cut too much I have found it doesn’t want to dissolve as well. I add it right before I stir the lye and water, because the heat dissolves it well. I definitely don’t want strings in the soap. Customers won’t know what that is, so I cut it up really small. That one container has lasted me a really long time.

I got mine on Amazon.

Shepherd Textiles Tussah Silk... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RRFLY93?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It has lasted forever!! I don’t really measure it. I just cut about a dime size amount and add it to the lye. My soap batches are about 55 oz. If you cut too much I have found it doesn’t want to dissolve as well. I add it right before I stir the lye and water, because the heat dissolves it well. I definitely don’t want strings in the soap. Customers won’t know what that is, so I cut it up really small. That one container has lasted me a really long time.
Good to know. Once I establish a better recepi I would like to try. It’s nice being the creator for once. I’ve switched out most all of my products to more healthier options. It’s very free-ing to say the least!

Back