What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planning to make soap today for the first time in TWO YEARS! (Except for the soap dough last week) I’m so nervous! I just mixed my lye water and realized I forgot to dissolve my sugar in the water first. Is there any way to save it? My recipe needs it for lather?
I put my sugar in with my oils and always have. works beautifully for me!

Someone unnamed talked me into attempting knit

Attachments

• 20241006_091958.jpg
    20241006_091958.jpg
    1.3 MB
I put my sugar in with my oils and always have. works beautifully for me!
I've done it a couple of times and for some reason, I didn't notice difference. Even though according to many sources sugar is not supposed to be oil soluble. I guess it just melts with the oils and that way works too

I learned a few lessons today….
1. I really do not enjoy FOs that smell like baked goods. I knew this, but had purchased BB Gingerbread Cookie FO for some odd reason. Soaping with it yesterday and cutting it today definitely confirmed my distaste for these types of smells. 🤢🤢🤢
2. I don’t ever ever ever need to attempt a mica line again. Hats off to everyone that can pull this off. Not only did they not turn out for me, I literally had Copper mica everywhere. My house may never be the same. The air purifier went into turbo mode. The swiffer duster was covered in it. I may still have some on me after 2 showers. I think the dogs are sparkly. My work surface mat still looks coppery. The Twilight vampires would have felt right at home. All that, and they didn’t come out well. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️
3. Orange is not my friend- it’s already fading out. I knew I should have added some neon 😡
4. I have no patience for discoloring FOs that when you try to help them along and use a brown mica, come out looking like baby poo.

I only used the FO in the brown sections, so the green and orange sections should not discolor.
IMG_3027.jpeg

Awwww @dmcgee5034 those look fantastic to me! And I feel really badly for giggling at what you wrote (but you made it funny!) when I know the disappointment of planning something out like that, only have it all go sideways. Here's hoping that you got it all out of your system in one swell foop, as my pa likes to say.

Back