To gel or not to gel?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgnlady

Reaction score
I've read arguments for both ways. I would prefer not to gel because I like the opaque color better, but I'm not sure I have a choice because I use a loaf mold. Anyway I've read that you can put it in the freezer or fridge to prevent gelling, but I've also read that if your soap cools too quickly the oils will separate? So how do you keep your soap from gelling without letting it cool too quickly?

I don't gel and prefer not to. I pour the soap at a light trace and it goes in the fridge or the freezer; up to overnight. I have never had a soap batch separate.

I like to gel with everything except fo/eo's with low flash points. I think the gel gives a better final texture and hardness to the soap. Well, hard a bit faster. But this is just my preference.

I like to gel, because I believe the soap hardens better, and stays hard after you begin using it.

But I don't always get gel, as I soap in a cool basement, and no matter how many newspapers and towels I put atop my wooden mold, I often get no gel, or partial gel. I kind of like the look of partial gel, although soapers on forums have expressed that they think it looks unfinished or something.

Here's yesterday's partial gel. It was an olive/pko/coc/cocoa butter/castor mix scented with ND's coffeecake spice.

I didn't add any extra color, but left the soap in mold for 48 hours (usually 24 or less). Strange.

SoapCoffeeCk.JPG

I don't gel but, for me, it's because I use 100% goat milk and would rather have the dense look. I like the gelled look, but think with my soaps it takes some of the character I like away (purely my opinion!).

I gel. I HATE ungelled soap..lol.

But to answer your question...I agree with soapbuddy.

I gel because I cannot seem to prevent it 100% and got sick and tired of partial gel. Now I make sure it goes all the way.

Could/would someone comment on the reasons WHY to gel or not to gel? Other than for appearance reasons? I realize that it's probably a personal preferance in processing...but what does it do to the soap itself?

agriffin: what do you hate about ungelled soap?
glenolam: with your ungelled soap, what characteristics does it take away?

Could someone point me to other postings or articles that weigh the pros and cons?

Sorry about the posting-hijack... but I'm curious....I saw the title of this posting and hoped I could get some answers to my questions about to gel or not to gel!

I gel because I like the look better.

I hate partial gel.

No crumbly mess.

Seems harder faster.

Seems to last longer in shower.

Does anyone know what happens chemically to the soap? Why does it turn transparent? Why does it become opaque again? Surely this happens because chemically something different is happening... leaves change color in the fall because of a chemical process, what's happening to our soaps?

I like them both! LOL
For milk soaps I like the creamy look of ungelled, but it does tend to crumble when I am cutting.

Is there a way to prevent partial gel other than CPOP?

Yes, woodi, I did read the whole thread. :) But I also thought it would be nice to get more than one answer/opinion. If there was more than appearance reasons and hardening reasons for choosing gelling over not gelling.

And now I have learned that ungelled can crumble when cut. And milk soaps look creamier when ungelled. And partial gelling is a problem that lots of extensively experienced have. WAY, way more experienced than me.

Every kernel of knowledge builds the education. :)

Thanks everyone for the answers.

The characteristics that I was thinking of are the "milky" texture others have spoken about as well as the crumbly-ness of the soap when cut. It's purely my preference, but I like my soap to have rough edges because it gives it that rustic look. Don't get me wrong - I have plenty of bars that I will neaten up because they should look better, but I don't mind the crumbles when cut look.

As far as the chemical difference, I'm not sure. I soap at low temps so some of my soaps have only partially gelled - I do the fridge method to prevent any gel and have never experienced separation.

I GELLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. partial gelled too many times and sick of messing with it.

2. ungelled soap seems awwwfully sticky by comparison.

3. I like the feel and look of gelled soap better.

imo!

Yup, agreed. That's why I mentioned understanding that it was "personal preference" when I first asked the question.

But now when I try it the ungelled method I know more about what to expect from it. :)

I like gelling! the only time I didnt was when I had extra mixture and put in cute little molds, it looked ok , took a long time to get hard.

Just wanted to throw this out there even though it has nothing to do with the actual question at hand....

After reading this thread and replying with my thoughts, I went home and made two batches as I normally do...except I didn't put them in the fridge because I *thought* the batches were cool enough and they were poured at a very thin trace making it difficult to move them into the fridge.

I should have moved them in when I noticed they had set up some, but I didn't....so I woke up to a 95% gel in one! :lol: It looks OK - mostly the edges aren't gelled so I'm excited to see how it turns out once unmolded and cut. I'll let you know if my preference or thought changes with the gelled bar!

Latest posts

Back