Tiger straps problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesenika

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone please explain me what is happening? I have tried this recepy 2 times and the same weird problem occurs. One line connecting with the bottom layer doesn't want to go through saponification. Any ideas why?

Attachments

• 20240828_121825.jpg
    20240828_121825.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240828_121813.jpg
    20240828_121813.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Hi, can anyone please explain me what is happening? I have tried this recepy 2 times and the same weird problem occurs. One line connecting with the bottom layer doesn't want to go through saponification. Any ideas why?

Why do you think the line hasn't gone through saponification? Is it softer than the rest? Does it zap when tested?

I think you are mixing up saponification with gelling. Unless as Artemis mentioned it is soft and zapping it is saponified which can take up to 72 hrs to complete. It looks like your soap fully gelled so I would guess some of the lighter color bled and diluted your last color line in that area, which would answer the orangy coloration in the stripe.

I think you are mixing up saponification with gelling. Unless as Artemis mentioned it is soft and zapping it is saponified which can take up to 72 hrs to complete. It looks like your soap fully gelled so I would guess some of the lighter color bled and diluted your last color line in that area, which would answer the orangy coloration in the stripe.
Yes, I think I've said it wrong, sorry. The pink/bright orange line at the bottom is the result of phenolphthalein safe test I did. On both batches this part (where it touches the green layer) turns pink when I test it for safety.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/phenolphthalein-testing.46692/

Check this thread, you'll find it very useful.

As long as your soap is zap free 4‐5 days after being poured, it's fine.

Why only that line changes color? Can't say, probably there's some addititive that got concentrated where the layers meet and reacts with your drops in a certain way. But even if your whole bar turned purple, it still doesn't mean it's lye heavy.

To properly test your bar for alkalinity using phenolphthalein, you need to dissolve a certain amount of the soap in a certain amount of water and test THE SOLUTION, not the bar. Even that way you may get false results using this method ‐ lye soap is alkaline in nature and may trigger the tester at different levels. Just zap test it

Latest posts

Back