Temperature control for coconut milk and lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased some unsweetened, whole fat (14g per 1/3 cup) coconut milk today to use for soap. I'm thinking I'll mix it with distilled water in a 50/50 ratio before adding the NaOH. I haven't used coconut milk before but have made several batches of goat milk soap. My questions: Do I need to be as careful with the temperature control with coconut milk as I am with goat milk? With goat milk I maintain the temperature between 90-100 degrees F, slowly adding the lye over the course of 60 - 80 minutes. Should I freeze the coconut milk first the way I do with the goat milk? Should I take less of a NaOH discount due to the extra fat in the milk? (My standard discount is 8%.) Are there any other considerations I need to be aware of with coconut milk?

Thanks in advance for your input!

If you are going to do a 50/50 anyway, I would strongly recommend adding the coconut milk after light trace. This is how I do my goats milk soap and I am pretty sure it is impossible to mess it up this way :)

Good luck!

fwiw from a noob

hieroglyph said:
I've been experimenting with coconut and almond milk. My best results so far? Adding the milk to the oils(room temp) and using ice cubed water for the lye.I get less discoloring and heating this way.

Good Luck
also, easy on the stick blender! i had the soap batter turn into instant egg omelette once.

Good advice from Bukawww and hieroglyph.

I used chilled coconut milk in my first batch and scorched the milk. The second batch, I froze the coconut milk, took it out and let it get a little slushy before I added the lye. I was stirring the lye/milk mixture and my boss called. I kept stirring and stirring while I was talking to her.

After I hung up, I looked down...uh...not good :shock: It looked like the coconut milk had started to saponify plus it looked like the lye hadn't completely dissolved. :cry:

I didn't have any more cold milk so I doubled the recipe and ended up adding the lye to water, adding it to the oils and then adding a can of coconut milk. Then I had to scramble to find another mold. The whole situation was a huge pain.

My advice - add the milk at trace. :wink:

krissy said:
Hazel said:

yep! throw me in the add at trace boat!

I think I like that better too.. altho wondering.. you discount water to make up for milk .. Ratio 1:1 water : lye ..ok ?? when at milk at trace ?? feedback appriciated !

I used coconut milk with my first ever batch and most there after.
I added the lye into the slushy coconut milk. It did look quite strange but mixed in very well to the oils. (I have read a false trace due to fats?)
I am using the soap now and it is beautiful to use, and still milky white :lol:

I'm also with Bukawww, I've used this technique with both goats milk and coconut milk, and it does sooooo much better than trying to add lye to milk!!!

cwarren said:
krissy said:
Hazel said:

yep! throw me in the add at trace boat!

I think I like that better too.. altho wondering.. you discount water to make up for milk .. Ratio 1:1 water : lye ..ok ?? when at milk at trace ?? feedback appriciated !

You split the liquid 50/50 and add the lye to the water. Then you add the milk in at trace. Some canned milks tell you to add half water to reconstitute so there's the 100% milk.

If it doesn't tell you to add water, then you can mix powdered milk into the liquid milk to equal 100%.

Umm...did I answer your question?

Edit: I forgot to mention - you can just use the water & milk and have 50% milk soap. :D

Does the different method of making milk soap affect the texture of your soaps?
A. i tried 100% chilled full cream milk, added NaOH to it. lots of curds(slush) and the final texture looked coarse.
B. With 50% water in NaOH and added 50% full cream milk at trace, a whitish layer appeared on top of the soaps, same thing happened with powdered milk.
i weighed the milk+lye solution in A and strained it to get curd free milk +lye solution;needless to say the curd took up a big chunk of the solution weight. i had to repeat procedure to get the right concentration of NaoH. however the end result is rewarding, the texture of the soaps were smooth and free from any whitish layer!

Too much work though! how do i get rid of those slushy milk? Anyone?

I have 2 batches .. side by side
A- 1:1 water lye and add milk at trace..
B Lye added to milk - turned orange even being nearly frozen
IMO I think milk added at trace makes a smoother lather.. I always cover my lsoap with plastic wrap.. I have gotten white on top twice ( when I didn't use plastic wrap)

Back