Tallow & Lard Cost

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to my local Smart & Final this afternoon and out of habit I checked out the price of lard and tallow 50 lb cubes. To my surprise both have dropped considerably in price, not quite to what I used to pay but very close to just over $1 per lb. Lard was approx $57 it had been close to $94, the 100% tallow was about the same. To bad I am not still still making soap it is almost affordable, of course there is still the cost of fragrance and shipping to deal with.

I asked my butcher to save the tallow from the beef we had processed. Not only did he save our beef tallow, he collected grass fed tallow from other cattle he processed and GAVE me 8 garbage sacks full of tallow! For that price, I'm sure I can handle postage to send him a box of tallow soap! Now to render it all and find/formulate a good tallow-heavy soap recipe!

I asked my butcher to save the tallow from the beef we had processed. Not only did he save our beef tallow, he collected grass fed tallow from other cattle he processed and GAVE me 8 garbage sacks full of tallow! For that price, I'm sure I can handle postage to send him a box of tallow soap! Now to render it all and find/formulate a good tallow-heavy soap recipe!
That is fantastic. They will not do that here in So Cal unless it has changed because it is sent out to rendering houses and they are paid for it, actually they contract with the rendering houses. I am not sure anymore since some have closed done in La Verne. Sometimes a butcher well sell you a small amount.

Back