Straining infused oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, got it now, thank you! I do have a small-neck funnel like that, and can see how that would work.

What confused me was the large-neck funnel with the bottom cap, that seems to be used in all of the milking videos. :)

Ok, got it now, thank you! I do have a small-neck funnel like that, and can see how that would work.

What confused me was the large-neck funnel with the bottom cap, that seems to be used in all of the milking videos. :)
I've never invested in one of those. Been straining milk like this for 15 years and it works great! And as long as the tallow is good and hot, it works great for that, too.

I use a 2 or 3 tier system, depending on how fine the sediment is. I've used it for infused oil, tinctures and vinegars. First I pour through a stainless steel strainer, like I use in the kitchen. This gets the larger stuff, and I can leave it over the measuring cup and let gravity work, while I move on. The second step is through a reusable coffee filter. This works well for castor oil infusions (no further filtering is needed), and for oils and vinegars that have a silt that blocks the flow. The last step is through an unbleached paper coffee filter. I've also found that if you leave the liquid sit between each step, the sediment falls to the bottom of the container, so the stuff that slows the process doesn't get strained until the end.

I tried my brilliant milk filter straining idea this morning. About two months ago I hot-infused about 2 oz of olive oil with annatto powder and let it sit in the jar until this morning. The powder had all settled in a pretty hard layer on the bottom of the jar, so I shook it until it had reincorporated into the oil before I strained it. The powder did clog the milk filter pretty quickly and it took about 15 minutes for that little bit of oil to soak through the filter. I imagine if I hadn't mixed the powder back into the oil, it might have filtered faster. That experiment will have to wait until I have another powder infusion to strain.

Come to think of it, I ended up purchasing 10" fryer oil filters to do my tallow. The milk filter worked fine, but it was small and the tallow cooled too much from having to pour it so slowly into the filter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CQC34L4V?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

Thanks @ackosel I agree, those larger cone filters would be best for straining tallow. Gonna get some for rendering the next round of beef fat that is currently sitting in my freezer. Until recently, it's been too hot to think about rendering anything, even if the big electric roaster pan is outside. Rendering is a cool or cold weather activity for me!

Latest posts

Back