Stickiness left on hands

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali said

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been making liquid soap for a while now. The oils I use are as follows:
15% olive oil
18% coconut oil
21% castor oil
47% sunflower oil
0% superfat.
I make it with 50-50% water-glycerin. I dilute it with 1.5 times the amount of water. Everything is perfect in the soap except for one thing. After washing my hands, there is something left on my hand. It looks like I put moisturizer on my hand. I thought maybe it was the glycerin and I reduced the glycerin. I made it 75-25% water-glycerin. It seems to have decreased a little but there is still a lot. I made it 87.5-12.5% water-glycerin but it still didn't turn out the way I wanted. Has anyone experienced this?

Hi there! I use 50% glycerin, 25% water, and 25% NaOH, and I don't experience stickiness. My liquid soap recipes usually do have a little more coconut oil than yours, anywhere from 20% to 25%. That raises cleansing number, which usually results in a cleaner wash-off. So that might be one thing to try.

By any chance do you have hard water? That can definitely cause issues with the soap not rinsing off cleanly. One solution to that is to add a chelator such as sodium citrate, sodium gluconate or EDTA.

Back