Sterilizing utensils and lotion bottles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomemadeBathGoodies

Reaction score
What is the best way to sterilize your utensils and lotion bottles before adding product in it?

-dishwashing?
-boiling water? wont it melt the plastic bottles??
-water & bleach? has anyone tried this method?

Utensils and equipment and surfaces need to be clean (free of debris, residue, etc.) before you can "sterilize"** them. Wash however you like, dry, then rinse with a bleach solution.

You should not put lotion in used bottles, and you shouldn't need to clean them. Adding water will simply provide growth opportunities for microbes.

** as Irena states below, you cannot actually sterilize things at home.

I spray rubbing alcohol in them and wipe them with a paper towel...should I not be doing this?

I will ONLY be using NEW bottles for my lotions. I just wanted to know how i would sterilize them before using them. I will wash them then use a bleach solution. :)

HomemadeBathGoodies said:
I will ONLY be using NEW bottles for my lotions. I just wanted to know how i would sterilize them before using them. I will wash them then use a bleach solution. :)

do not wash your bottles - that will just cause you MORE problems, even if you use a bleach solution.

Clean your surfaces, utensils, equipment with bleach solution.
Don't clean your containers or lids - stored properly (in a package that keeps out dust and mice) they are clean.

There's no way to reuse containers? Even for my own use only and with preservative in it? Seems kind of odd. I reuse jelly jars all the time and haven't died yet. I just run them thru the dishwasher. Is there a difference?

sandman_max said:
There's no way to reuse containers? Even for my own use only and with preservative in it? Seems kind of odd. I reuse jelly jars all the time and haven't died yet. I just run them thru the dishwasher. Is there a difference?

If you are reusing them that's fine. Sanitize them with a sanitizing solution.

If you are using new bottles then you don't do anything to them first - just add product (as long as they've been kept clean).

Latest posts

Back