sorbitol and sodium citrate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have never used these and I am trying to follow a recipe that calls for sorbitol and sodium citrate added at 1% of oil weight. What is the purpose of using these? Do you put it in the soap calc as an additive ? At what stage do you incorporate it ?

60% lard
20% coconut oil
15% liquid oil of choice (olive, avocado, sweet almond, HO sunflower, HO safflower, HO canola, rice bran)
5% castor oil

40% lye concentration
2% superfat
sorbitol and sodium citrate added at 1% of oil weight
what is the difference in sodium lactate and sodium citrate?

Sodium Lactate​

Last edited:
Sorbitol makes soap more soluble and increases its lathering. Sodium citrate is a chelator - it helps in preventing DOS and soap scum, also helps lathering in hard water. Sodium lactate helps making the bar harder - you can also unmold earlier than usual. People report using lactate helps keeping their batter in liquid form for longer.

All 3 of them can be dissolved in the liquid for the lye solution, before adding the NaOH. And you need to add them as additives in the calculator.

These are the basics. I would suggest sticking to additives you know you want in your soap because of the properties they give - you can always go wrong by following given recipes. And a recipe like that with such lye concentration is sure to move fast, so be prepared. You may be able to get trace just by hand

I recognize that recipe :) and hope you will love it as much as I do!

I agree with everything Ekuzo shared above, except that due to the high amount of lard, this is actually a fairly slow moving recipe for me, even with 40% lye concentration.

That being said, my lye solution is always room temp (because I make it ahead of time), and my hard oils are heated to 165ºF before mixing in room-temp soft oils and cooling the mix to 100ºF or less. The batter will definitely trace faster for you if your combined oils and lye solution are warmer than mine. Also, for a 900g/ 31oz batch, I only do two to three 1-second bursts with the stickblender, and hand-stir from there if needed.

Regardless, you are completely free to use a 33% lye concentration if that is more comfortable for you. Gelling the soap on a heating pad will help it firm up and unmold faster, especially if you do use more water.

EDITED TO ADD: I don't typically use sodium lactate in this high-lard, low-water recipe, especially since I always gel on a heating pad. With the amount of palmitic and stearic fatty acids in this mix, the soap is plenty firm enough without SL, and ready to unmold in 18 hours or less. However, if you won't be gelling it, or you plan to use more water (lower lye concentration), then SL may be of some benefit to you.

Last edited:
Back